Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 71

29tons, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pre-Made Door Panels
Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
I sprung the cash for and ordered new pre-made door panels for the Patrician earlier today from SMS Auto Fabrics. The samples that they sent me appeared to duplicate original materials pretty exactly. Anyone who has used these have any pointers or advice? I have absolutely zero experience with this sort of thing. I have plenty of time. The lady said that I will probably get them toward the end of the summer.

Posted on: 2009/5/7 23:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Pre-Made Door Panels
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
It took SMS a year and a month to do my friends set. They had excuses every month. With that said, they are absolutly perfect!

As far as I know, you just install the clips, and pop them on the door.

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2009/5/8 0:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It took me 2 years and one incorrect run of material to get the correct fabric for my 56 Caribbean from SMS. Dozens of promises on delivery dates were not kept; yet when it did finally arrive the quality was OK (not great) but otherwsie it did match the original material very accurately.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 9:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Ah, yes, pretty much as I expected when told, "towards the end of summer," but if they're right when I get 'em I can put up with some delay. Mine aren't in that bad shape anyway, except for the driver's door which is pretty much wrecked. Mostly stains that I've tried to get out using most of the conventional methods and wisdom with varying degrees of success. From the sample materials that they sent it appears that they may have done Trim code 60 ('55) before. I'll start hounding them in my usual tactful, diplomatic fashion around the end of August.

Just out of idle curiosity does anyone know the correct terminology for the cloth with the metallic thread designs in it?

Posted on: 2009/5/8 9:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe I read it was referred to as nylon metalasse with an accent mark. According to a dictionary means a fabric woven in such a way as to look padded or quilted but is not. It can have accent threads of contrasting materials which is what I always thought the metalasse meant--so learned something.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 10:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
HH56, your knowledge and expertise in all things automotive never fails to generate admiration. Thanks. Contributors of such wide and varying experience and knowledge are what has made this website such a resounding success.

When we first started to see this stuff in cars back in the early fifties I thought it was about as uncomfortable as some of the more fashionable furniture that my mother used to be addicted to but, some fifty-odd years later and in comparison to what one sees in more modern vehicles, I have to marvel at its durability and resistance to abuse. That's probably why it costs $95 the yard.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 10:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Loyd, thanks but you give me more credit than due. I've been know to think one car, talk another, thoroughly confuse the two, and all involved. Memory is such a fleeting thing.

Also believe that fabric also has been referred to as a jacquard or some such--but maybe that more because that's the type loom woven on rather than fabric style.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 11:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You guy's should give SMS a break, they're working as fast as they can!:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/5/8 12:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved