Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

MikeSC's 1955 Panama
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

MikeSC
See User information
I'm starting this thread for my 1955 Panama. We've determined the engine was swapped out of a 1956 Constellation at some point.
Per the forum below:
The charging system has been swapped to a negative ground. Charging system works just fine. I'm wondering if there's anything else I need to check to ensure all my electrical will work properly.
Things I know that don't work: Gas gauge reads backwards and the cluster lights don't turn on with the headlights.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=10

Attach file:

jpg  20230703_150529.jpg (475.80 KB)
226268_64b0319008649.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/7/13 12:17
 Top  Print   

Re: MikeSC's 1955 Panama
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

MikeSC
See User information
On the list of things the car needs:
Floor pans and rocker panels. I'm missing almost all of my badges. The interior is completely ripped out, door panels are no good and carpet is gone. Also, found a leak on the rear diff, bad enough to leave a puddle in my shop.
I have to look into the bondo on the rear quarter panels, I'm scared they used it to cover up rust.
The seats have already been re-upholstered and the car is straight. Runs and drives great.

Posted on: 2023/7/13 12:22
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: MikeSC
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As long as there are no modern solid state replacement devices such as a radio vibrator or torsion level switch or a modern permanent magnet starter or window motor installed then nothing else on a Clipper will be damaged or really care about the polarity swap. There is still a question about what exactly is different in voltage regulators to be labeled positive or negative or universal but other than a possibly shortened life, as long as the car is charging then it is working. For best spark efficiency the coil should match the battery polarity so with a negative ground, the negative terminal on the coil should be connected to the distributor.

The gas gauge reading backwards has nothing to do with polarity. All the gauge has inside is a heating coil to warm or cool a bimetal strip. To read backwards, I suspect there is an issue with the sender. Possibly the original sender failed and an aftermarket universal sender was installed incorrectly or a GM sender with reversed resistance was tried. What you need has a resistance of approximately 73 ohms at empty and 10 ohms at full. Repro senders are available from our vendors or some Ford senders of the mid to late 50s are also compatible. With the Ford items you need to get one with the correct arm length.

To test the sender, if you disconnect the sender wire at the tank end going to the gauge, the gauge should read empty. Touch the wire to ground and gauge immediately starts going to full. Do not leave the wire connected to ground longer than it takes to verify the gauge will go to full. To test the sender itself will require an ohmmeter set to the 100 ohm scale. One lead on ground, the other to the disconnected wire from the sender and you should get a reading. With the sender still in the tank there will be only one value depending on fuel level so sender needs to be removed and arm moved thru its range for a complete test.

The cluster lights not working are a well known issue and generally caused by an oxidized or dirty wiper or terminal contact in the headlight switch rheostat section. Sometimes cleaning with contact cleaner or a tiny dab of valve grinding compound on the wiper surface followed by a rapid back and forth movement and then a thorough rinse will restore contact but often the cleaning fix is short lived and other options need to be explored. The switch rheostat section is riveted together and does not come apart easily so any cleaning needs to be done with the switch intact.

Attach file:

jpg  51-6 Headlight switch Exploded view.jpg (55.02 KB)
209_64b03c8dc8f5e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  Headlight switch terminals.jpg (50.41 KB)
209_64b03f51e30c9.jpg 790X486 px

Posted on: 2023/7/13 13:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

MikeSC
See User information
What else can I use for a bezel tool? Has anyone tried drilling through an allen wrench?

Posted on: 2023/7/21 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Allens are typically hardened (or at lease case hardened) but you can easily do it with a length of hex stock.

Posted on: 2023/7/21 11:57
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Brass stand-offs they use on computer motherboards are nearly the perfect size and already have a hole in them.

Also, at one time, I know David Moe (Seatle Packards) bought boxes of the tool made by Dan Yocum from his estate many years ago.

Also, a piece of brass or aluminum pencil rod could be ground to shape pretty easily.

Posted on: 2023/7/21 13:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You don't want to grind aluminum as doing so could cause the wheel to explode. If you do grind aluminum, use lots of cutting oil! As a journeyman prototype machinist, that is one of the first things learned in the trade. Brass and other non-ferrous metals are similar but not so bad as aluminum as it gums up the pores in the wheel.

Posted on: 2023/7/21 13:20
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I use rolock sanding disks. Not grinding wheels.

Posted on: 2023/7/21 13:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

MikeSC
See User information
I like the idea of stand-offs. I'm not a machinist by any means nor do I have the equipment to try.

Posted on: 2023/7/21 19:17
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

MikeSC
See User information
Quote:

MikeSC wrote:
I like the idea of stand-offs. I'm not a machinist by any means nor do I have the equipment to try.

Also, did I mention I'm completely new to Packards? I knew of the cars but, was never knowledgeable about them. I got lucky with how I got the car. I've also found myself in the middle of a rather steep learning curve. So thank y'all for the help.

Posted on: 2023/7/21 19:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved