Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Inherited !941 Packard
Just popping in
Just popping in

Alan Nappier
See User information
What is the best source for determining a Packard value? I inherited a 1941 Packard 160 Series Super-8 Convertible Sedan that I do not want. I would like to put it up for sale but, I have no idea how much to list for.
Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0964.jpg (72.93 KB)
224998_641a07d54b995.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_0965.jpg (71.32 KB)
224998_641a07e34f83f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_0966.jpg (65.94 KB)
224998_641a07f4349dc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_0967.jpg (68.64 KB)
224998_641a0801c6626.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2023/3/21 14:40
 Top  Print 

Re: Inherited !941 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
It's hard to determine a value based on just a few photos, and knowing nothing of its mechanical condition, nor of what the interior looks like. That said, it could be worth $100,000 if it's in excellent mechanical condition and if the upholstery is nice.

Posted on: 2023/3/21 15:14
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
West's general price is probably close but so many variables with just a few photos to go by, it's difficult to say for sure. Probably best to invest in a professional appraisal by someone well-versed in vintage cars and specifically in Packard. Also, selling locally, through Craig's List, Facebook or even eBay won't fetch the best price so maybe consider consigning it through one of the auction houses. Even if you had to pay to transport it there, you would likely get the most for it that way.

Posted on: 2023/3/21 15:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Alan, please post several pictures of the interior and describe as best you can the mechanical condition and functionality of the car.

Ultimately you will need to get it appraised by someone familiar with late pre war cars, to determine a competitive asking price.

Posted on: 2023/3/21 15:40
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
There is a gentleman who drops in here who has one of these and can perhaps educate on fine points. Interior, overdrive or not, and motor and ID numbers will also document the car (appears to be a genuine 160, but there are 120's with trim changes out there)

Posted on: 2023/3/21 16:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The car looks beautiful. I think West is right. You’ve basically inherited a $100k car. More if interior and running gear are primo condition and less if they need work.
Title and registration documents are very important. Finding whatever you can about the history of the car helps. I’ve yet to see a 160 converted from a 120. One would have to convert so much of the equipment starting with a 356 engine and transmission, bumpers grille and other costly trim, it wouldn’t be close to worth it. Early 160s and 120s shared a lot of the same door handles so people get confused. But replacing the dash alone doesn’t begin to make sense. Just know it’s a pet peev of mine that was discussed at length on this site some years ago.
A $500 appraisal might help you sleep better having a better assessment, but bad things happen at auctions, too. A ‘40 160 1377 (Conv sedan) identical to mine with no reserve went for $50k in AZ maybe 10 years ago. That was theft, but it’s how the auction game is played. You could advertise it in Hemmings motor news, in Packards International magazine and in the Packard Club PAC newsletter. The season for enjoying a car like yours is just starting. The PAC NATIONAL MEET is in California this June. Your car is perfect for touring and especially for parades. Are you sure you want to sell it? Good luck!
But what a wonderful gift.

Posted on: 2023/3/21 20:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Lovely problem to have. Very First World. Wat inherited a '49 Deluxe that needed engine work. It was basically worn out.

Not saying that they others are wrong, but try not to get your hopes up for a bonanza like having won the lottery. Likewise, don't feel bad for not wanting it. Like as not, a professional appraisal might be the way to go. Price opinions are like . . . noses. What did you think I was going to say? And, like noses, many of them have been broken, and some more than once.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Posted on: 2023/3/21 20:46
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Alan Nappier,
to PackardInfo.

Congratulations on becoming the owner of this fine Packard, even if it's only temporary.

Would it be possible for you to include it in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry? This vehicle will then be accounted for and permit people to track it into the future.

If you do include it in the Registry and subsequently sell it please advise and the Registry entry will be updated accordingly.

Posted on: 2023/3/21 22:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
[quote]
I’ve yet to see a 160 converted from a 120.

I've seen a couple of partial conversions. Usually it's the exterior bolt-ons - bumpers, tail lights, hood vents, scripts. Not really a big deal, but it is a "fancy" 120.

I agree that the interior differences and engine are harder to do. A few photos would confirm that this is a 160 (sure looks so far to be). Lovely car.

Posted on: 2023/3/22 6:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Bringatrailer.com might be a good option as well: they have the reach of an auction house without the cost, and you don't have to haul the vehicle to the auction to be sold. You can put a reserve on to protect yourself.

Posted on: 2023/3/22 6:36
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved