Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lifter Dimensions- 327 Cam Follower
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I have been asked a question I cannot answer about the cam followers in my 327 straight 8.
My engine is off site and the machine shop is unavailable at this time.
I am converting to adjustable solid lifters and have been asked the dimensions itemized in the below sketch. Note that "F" is the distance above the side casting opening of the block when the valve is completely closed and the cam follower is at its lowest point.
Does anyone have an open block or spare parts that you can measure and let me know?
I understand that some dimensions such as D & E may not apply.
I am very grateful for any information you can supply.
Thanks so much in advance.

Attach file:

jpg  lifter question.JPG (15.70 KB)
225215_6423778b716b0.jpg 659X449 px

Posted on: 2023/3/28 18:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Lifter Dimensions- 327 Cam Follower
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
OK, inquiring minds want to know why you need this arcane information...as when changing to solid lifters you merely swap out the cam and lifters and you are done. Oh, and drill out the weep hole that shoots oil onto the timing gears to .093 iirc.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 19:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As Ross indicated, this information is not needed as it's a simple swap but also just to clarify what he hinted at, the cam must be changed too as the lift is quite different between solid and hydraulic lifters.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Thanks everyone.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 19:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Hi Bob. Important point: where are the solid lifters from? Now if you just install new lifters on a worn-in cam, you are going to have trouble. Your cam lobes will be circles in no time.
Cam and lifters must be run in together. If the lifters are used, AND come with the cam they ran on, AND you know which position they originally were in, fine. Swap over. If the cam and lifters are new, put loads of moly grease on the lobes and follow the break in procedure, that too will be fine. Mixing new and used will be a disaster.
Gary

Posted on: 2023/3/29 7:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved