Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Packard stick shift cruising speed
Just popping in
Just popping in

Richard T
See User information
I have been looking for 1951,52, or 53 Packard, 3 speed stick with overdrive. I found a 1951 in good condition with a 3 speed stick, but no overdrive. The current owner is trying to tell me the car can be driven at 70 or even 80 MPH comfortably. I doubt that is true. I don't know what rear end it has, but from research I think it would be standard 3.90. Any recommendations on what a realistic cruising speed would be for this car (assuming the engine is in good condition)? Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2023/4/2 16:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Packard stick shift cruising speed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I used to drive my over 3-ton (6,200lbs) 1952 Henney-Packard without overdrive at speeds like that with no problem. It had the overdrive transmission under it but never connected. Packards without overdrive typically had a different rear ratio to help compensate but at the sacrifice of low end take off.

Posted on: 2023/4/2 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I suspect that what the owner is full of isn't chocolate pudding, Jello brand or otherwise.

I have had my 1946 Clipper with its 282 engine over 60 MPH before, and it does keep pulling like it wants some more throttle, but it may as well ask for a pony for Xmas, because it ain't gettin' one. I think that 55-60 is sufficient based on its lack of o/d.

I think that those engines will last longer and be happier if kept below 3K RPM, and not being sure where that is, I keep the speed down and trust my ear and my 5+ decades of driving experience, some of which was stupid.

Posted on: 2023/4/2 17:50
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
You should have plenty of horses to cruise at 70 in one of those. The top speed of the similarly-bodied 55's with about 50% more horsepower was like 110MPH.

That being said I wouldn't want to put 10k miles on an engine going at that speed with no OD. I would think you'd want to keep looking.

FYI some back of the envelope math gives 3430 RPM @ 75 MPH, 1:1, 3.9:1. Probably higher with metric size radials.

Posted on: 2023/4/2 18:04
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If you like the car buy it but know that it will be very busy at 60 mph--about 2800 rpm. It is very easy to add overdrive to one of those cars and there are plenty of the units around. I would keep the 3.9 axle and enjoy cruising at 2020 rpm at 60, and an easily sustainable 2500 at 75.

I regularly drive my OD equipped 51 and 53 at those speeds with zero problems. Well, OK, above 65 the gas mileage really starts to drop off as you push that delightful barn door sideways down the highway.

Posted on: 2023/4/2 19:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved