Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Braking very hard followed by normal operation Clipper 1955
Just popping in
Just popping in

Konya88
See User information
Hey together, as I am a new owner of my 55er Clipper I need some help from experts ;) It's my first US car but I love it from the first second ;)

Now I have one Issue. The clipper has very low Miles and last owner (collector) told me car hardly never moved in the last years.

So when I do the first braking its immediately super strong, as if it's blocking almost full power. Then second braking is normal operation like it should be.

I have my hopes that it will vanish when i drive for a while. last owner told me 2-3 years ago they changed the Brake power assisting unit. Showed me photos and looked similar. I don't know if they replaced the whole braking system as well but tubes etc looking new.

Of course it's always hard to judge without seeing it but maybe s.o had it already.

Thank you for helping me or trying to ;)))

Have a nice weekend and a great time.

Lovely greetings

Konya

Attach file:

jpg  clippy.jpg (0.00 KB)
226312_64babc7906eeb.jpg 0X0 px

Posted on: 2023/7/21 12:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Breaking very hard followed by normals operation Clipper 1955
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's brake, not break! Anyway, the first thing to do when getting a car that's been sitting is to go through and rebuild all the hydraulic components in the brake system including the master and power brake unit. Replace all three rubber hoses too. Only then can you be assured of safety when you drive and enjoy the car. Brakes are not something you want to guess and hope for the best about!

Posted on: 2023/7/21 12:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And I am not sure what you are calling super strong and normal. The power brake system in the car is unlike anything used on a modern car as far as pedal travel and feel. Many people describe the power brakes as being very sensitive. Minimal pedal travel was one of the sales features when Packard started using the Bendix Treadlevac system.

On a properly adjusted and functioning system full travel of the brake pedal is about 25mm before all shoes touch the drums, can move no farther and pedal is at a hard lock. A light push that barely moves the pedal will give a gentle slowdown and stop while a hard push will have you stopping so abruptly you feel as if you will be going thru the windshield.

I don't know if you will be able to watch YouTube in Switzerland but there is a 53 commercial showing how the driver just needs to swivel his toes from the accelerator to the brake pedal and barely touch the brake pedal when coming to a stop. That brake unit is the same as the one on your car.

Posted on: 2023/7/21 12:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Hi Konya88, welcome to PackardInfo.com!
Break, brake or braek, ...., as far as I can tell at first glance, your English is just wonderful for someone who comes from Switzerland.
After reading your description of the first and second braking event, I would also be interested in the third. Does the brake pedal get even softer the third time?

Posted on: 2023/7/21 13:22
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The bigger question is that since this is in the Modifications section of the site, are the brakes stock or converted to disc?

As for Swiss German, when I was in Zurich several years ago I couldn't understand a single word or even read any street signs! Totally different. Basel was closer to standard German but not Zurich!

Posted on: 2023/7/21 13:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Maybe something is sticking too much st first? As Don said, the fluid should be changed, then you can see if this issue goes away on its own.

As others have noted, the pedal pressure is less, and the pedal travel much less, than the brakes in a car of today.

Posted on: 2023/7/21 14:59
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1954 Patrician's Treadle-Vac was rebuilt a few years ago and nearly throws me through the windshield if I as much as look at the pedal! Well, maybe a little exaggerated but not by much! I don't recall it ever being so touchy but then it's been years since I've driven it other than recently around the property.

Posted on: 2023/7/21 15:39
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Konya88
See User information
First of all thanks a lot for all your advices ;) and yeah of course it's brakes..I am glad you understood me as well ;) could be it's not ne only fault I am doing here but it seems , most of you have a clue about what I am writing ;))

So yeah your inputs are very welcome. I drove many old cars in my life and I am aware of the difference in brake pedal travel and force feeling, that's a god point but it's not the issue for sure, thanks for that anyway.

When u do the first attempt to brake like you are used to, you are close to bang your head against the cockpit and have to excuse to your guests ;))) hahaha but then again you push with same force after let's say 1 min oder 30 sek it's normal ;)

I guess fist step might be to flush the whole system and have a look... otherwise I will change those 3 components.

Concerning the question what happens after the second normal attempt... Yeah depending on the time... Shortly (less one min) it's still normal but if you cruise again for a while then u will do a headbang for sure ;)

Thanks again for your help and I will let you know if I will find it... Next step is flushing next week and check the system carefully

Lovely greetings Konya

And yeah ;) we have YouTube in Europe ;))

Posted on: 2023/7/21 15:49
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Konya88
See User information
Actually it's a Really good Video.. thanks a lot for this ;)

Looks really gentle on the brake yeah.

The thing is that the brake pressure with my foot is always the same but the outcome it very different. That's my main issue.

Ah and I forgot my brakes are completely original no power disc brake.

Wishing you all a nice evening/ day

Posted on: 2023/7/21 15:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does the pedal feel sticky the first time like maybe you pushed and nothing much happened but with a bit more pressure it suddenly freed. Something like that could mean brake fluid has gotten into the vacuum section and turned gummy causing the vacuum piston to stick and then suddenly break loose. Once the piston breaks free then it moves normally for the second stop. If enough fluid did manage to get to the vacuum side there are some rubber poppet valves that control the amount of vacuum which could also be sticking and suddenly letting go.

The check valve at the rear of the carb has also been known to leak causing the vacuum supply to be erratic or not be present for a second or third application. That symptom is usually the brakes feel like very little power is available rather than feeling normal.

Posted on: 2023/7/21 16:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved