Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

"1999" Packard to be auctioned on eBay May 26
Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Old Cars is reporting that Roy Gullickson will be auctioning his "1999" Packard on eBay starting on May 26. The link is:

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article/Packard_Twelve_Concept_to_be_auctioned_eBay/

Posted on: 2009/5/22 13:04
 Top  Print 

Re: "1999" Packard to be auctioned on eBay May 26
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Thanks for the posting on this beautiful concept automobile. I have never seen it in person.

Most of us who post on Packard Info are well oriented in the first 60 years of Packard history. This beauty makes us pause and wonder, "What IF?"

I don't plan to be bidding on the auction, however. This project is about 19 feet longer than my 'piggy bank.'

Again, thanks.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/5/22 13:24
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I saw this thing in person at the 1999 (100th anniversary) PI meet in CA.

The only thing "Packard" about it was the faux-1950 grille.

I thought it was rather plain looking in any case.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/5/22 15:18
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
That side view picture of it looks to me like what a 1999 Tucker would look like.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.73 KB)
633_4a170f458c0b3.jpg 425X220 px

jpg  (33.67 KB)
633_4a170f5c53e6f.jpg 500X328 px

Posted on: 2009/5/22 15:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The '99 is certainly a historic what-if piece, but doesn't connect with me. Of course, my perspective may be a bit different due to my love of the 55th-56th Series styling.

However, take away the NOS '50 grille (and styling used to accomodate it) and the hex motif and it could be a neo-anycar.

I have always noticed a closer resemblence to a '48 Tucker in profile.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 15:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
That grille is from a real 22nd Series Custom / 23rd Series Custom, Super -- modified a bit. There was an article published in the Packard Cormorant last year telling the complete history of Gullickson's efforts.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 22:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Funny that the Packard Cormorant would publish anything concerning the Gullickson's the effort put forth by him. Since there was no moral support put forth to support him by some of the Packard Clubs. I do know that there was some other problems with him concerning the Packard trademark.

I understand that in 1999 the people in-charge at Warren refused to let him put the 1999 Packard on display at the 100th birthday for Packard.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/5/23 10:12
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think you've got it backwards, John. He was invited by PAC to attend the Warren Centennial and declined, chosing to stay in Cleveland at the Western Reserve Museum (as I remember) instead.

In The Packard Cormorant article on all attempts to revive the Packard car, he was of course mentioned, along with all the others. ED - But you're right about the trademarks, there was some nastiness which could have been handled much better. It's a story best left unsaid.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 10:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
I rather liked the simplicity of the car when it first appeared as it seemed to me a modern attempt at the quiet elegance and lack of non-functional, extemporaneous glitz that was a staple of Packard design for most of the company's existence.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 15:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen: Maybe what you said about PAC inviting him maybe true, however that is not what I heard from some people I know.

I guess somewhere in between is the truth.

Craig has stated that the 99 Packard was as the 100 birthday
that PI put on, I find it very strange that Gullickson would have turned down an offer by PAC to show his 1999 Packard at Warren.

Thanks for clearing up the post by ECA on the story that
was in a prior edition of the Packard Cormorant. After reading his post. I took that the story was entirely about the Gullickson effort.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/5/23 18:08
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved