Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 panama with od
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

clipper374
See User information
I converted my 55 clipper from ultramatic to od. I am missing the shaft lever extension lever Pt#3.3334 and have used a threaded rod which I bent to what I thought would be the correct angle. The transmission locks up frequently in first or reverse and I must fight the thing to get it to shift. I've tried adjusting the lever shaft and have had a slight improvement but not much. I guess I need a sample of the shaft so I can have a couple made. I've had several 55s with standard transmissions and they have all been converted to floor shifters somewhere along the way probably because the column shift is so flaky. The inner shaft on the steering column has a dimple in it where the shift handle fits to lift the shaft when shifting. It is worn but had a make shift repair and seems to work. This whole thing looks so fragile, that I hate to force anything. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2009/7/1 12:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 panama with od
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Floor shift.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/7/1 16:11
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

clipper374
See User information
I know that the floor shift is the way to go but I want to show the car once in a while. It is really a nice car.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 18:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I like Paul's pushbutton air shifter personally Craig!.....

Posted on: 2009/7/1 20:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
I like Paul's pushbutton air shifter personally Craig!.....

<p>Too bad Paul's solution is beyond the engineering capability of most people on the planet...present company excepted, of course.</p>
<p>
Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/7/2 1:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
I know that the floor shift is the way to go but I want to show the car once in a while. It is really a nice car.

<p>And you are worried about getting points deducted or what? A floor shifter conversion is a period correct modification as you yourself pointed out.</p>
<p>
To correctly "fix" a mal-operating column shift would probably require taking the whole shebang apart and remanufacturing EVERYTHING. And then to what end? Column shifters were a "Rube Goldberg" lash up to start with -- difficult to operate and prone to exactly the problems you are talking about.</p>
<p>Just be thankful you have a manual trans with OD, which others on this forum would covet.</p>
<p>
Craig
</p>

Posted on: 2009/7/2 1:29
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

clipper374
See User information
I quess I will have to make a decision as to
if I want a show car or a driver. A show car is good a couple of times a year, but a driver is good anytime.
Does anyone know where I can get a conversion kit for column shift to floor shift?
This car has won a 1st place in its class at the Packard Club National Meets as well as several second places. It took 1st in class at the Palo Alto Concours de Elegance. It has a 56, 374 in it. It has a great third gear.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 11:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A show car is good a couple of times a year, but a driver is good anytime.

That's a very hard statement to accept, though of course it depends on your definition of a show car. If it's a $250,000 value trailer queen, I'd might agree, yet it depends on what aspects of the hobby the owner wishes to participate in. Just one notch down, cars that have taken all manner of local and national awards are very often seen on tour, perhaps not CCCA 100 point cars, but certainly plenty of cars in the middle to high 90s. Take a look at some of the cars on the Henry Joy tour last year which are posted on this site, probably 80% of them qualify as show cars yet they did 1000 miles of more of that event, and others since.

It's all your choice.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 12:49
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

clipper374
See User information
My car is definately not a 100 point show queen. More like maybe a 85 point show once in a while and mainly a driver. but to me, a floor shifter is a major modification from original and if you are a purist like me is not acceptable.
I have made up my mind that I will convert to a floor shifter if I can find the parts, and restore the column shift if I want to enter some of the shows where people who know better are judges. Anyone have any knowlege as to what model the tranny is? I believe it is a Borg Warner a10.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Instead of considering putting a floor shifter in, which to me in some cases is just a mickey mouse set-up at best, that maybe wouldn't fix your present problems. Why not just try and repair the present problems that you are having with the three on tree.

You could also be having some problems with the transmission itself.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/7/2 20:19
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved