Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Sudden Engine Cutout During Warm-up??
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
Hi there, new to the site here and new Packard owner as of five days ago. I have a question that hopefully someone out there may have experienced before or just have good intuition about. We're now the proud owners of a 1950 Standard Eight. The engine sounds great and turns over generally with a half crank of the starter. Problem is that after about five minutes the engine cuts out as simple as someone turning off the ignition. If you wait a while it will start up again and do the same. If the weather is cooler it will stay running a few minutes longer and opposite if warmer outside. It seems interesting since it doesn't really run long enough to get close to reaching operating temp let alone overheating. Something else may be getting fouled up as it warms up but what could it be? I originally thought it was an electrical issue and the battery seemed a bit sluggish and it's brand new so I rebuilt the generator. That had no effect and I have the same problem. Maybe electrical is barking up the wrong tree? Unless a condenser perhaps? If anyone has a thought I'd really appreciate it. Right now I'm wandering through the woods at night blindfolded on this problem.

Attach file:

jpg  (187.92 KB)
1649_4a4ebc5f1b4e2.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/7/3 21:20
 Top  Print 

Re: Sudden Engine Cutout During Warm-up??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome and nice looking car.

Coil has been a source of many complaints of engine quitting for no reason because as it heats up, something internal could be losing contact. Another possibility lately if it's been replaced is to make sure the gas cap is the vented type or the vent is not clogged. Run the car with cap off or if cap on when it quits, quickly remove cap and listen for air whoosh. Would check those first and report back.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 21:31
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There could also be crap in the tank. So when you start up the car the inlet tube sucks up the crap clogs the gas pickup tube. Then the motor dies. The suction is lost, and the crap floats away from the pickup. Start it back up and the cycle repeats. Just something to look at.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 22:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Good looking car!

That exact thing happened to me - 3 pieces of wood in the tank. They would plug the intake, the car would die, I would pull over, I would start the car and drive. Over and over again. Took the tank off (relatively easy, had to rebuild the bolts that hold the tank) and had it professionally checked at a radiator shop.

If you want to bypass the tank and see if the fuel system is the problem, use a marine tank designed for boats and a 6v fuel pump, or gravity.

There's a choke on the carb that is based on engine temp, it may be malfunctioning. I'm no expert, but if you have a screwdriver in the carb after it starts keeping the butterfly valve open, does it help?

6V positive ground, right, with large (1AWG) battery cables that are well connected to the starter and the block?

The flexible fuel line to the fuel pump in good condition? The diaphragm in the fuel pump is subject to new fuels that eat the older materials, you may want new diaphragms installed. In the Packard Directory in the Main Menu is several places that rebuild fuel pumps, or sells you kits to install yourself.

Is the fuel clean? No water? Is it old fuel?

My dad once demonstrated how good exhaust systems, that don't leak, can kill an engine by simply putting your foot over the tail pipe opening.

Is the coil clean dry and the cable in good condition? The distributor cap clean and has no cracks? It does sound like a coil problem, check the wires that are attached, and the connections themselves. Like mentioned above it may be the coil, a simple fix.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 22:16
-Carl | [url=http://packardinfo.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Cool! Another "tub" same color as mine or close. Great looking car. I would check for spark immediately after the car shuts down. You say it starts back up in a few minutes so I'd check one of the plug leads against the block while cranking to see if spark is present. Easy to do on a pedal start Packard. Better done when it's darker out. If you still get spark, then it's likely the fuel system. I had an old T-bird that would run like you've described and shut off. In that case it was the fuel filter. As it got more clogged it would run for shorter and shorter durations until changed. Either way, it's most likely something simple and cheap. Good luck!

Posted on: 2009/7/3 23:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'd start at the fuel system like other's have stated. I'd also pull the little fitting on top of the carb by the fuel inlet line and make sure there's a small brass screen there and it's not plugged. If you want to try tuneup stuff, an Oreilly's will have or can get all the stuff you need, and here's some part number that your local parts store can x-ref if need be:

Condenser: BW G102A
Rotor: BW D80
Cap: BW C12

My local Oreilly's had the cap and rotor in stock, but had to order the points and condenser. These are all for Delco ignition, however. Plug wires, I'd use something from a big block Chrysler, they might be a little long, but they will work and work cheaply.

Glad to have another bathtub owner on board!

Posted on: 2009/7/4 0:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
rock_cousteau wrote: Hi there, new to the site here and new Packard owner as of five days ago......a 1950 Standard Eight.......

G'day Rock,
to PackardInfo, nice looking 'tub there. Could you please include it in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it? And if you're agreeable could BigKev, the Webmaster here, move this thread to the Post-War Forum?

Posted on: 2009/7/4 1:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I had a 1955 that did the same thing. It turned out to be the coil and installing a new one solved all the problems.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 6:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not suprised, those are classic symptoms of a failing coil

Posted on: 2009/7/4 8:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
I concur on that.I have had old outboard motors do that as well.The colder it was the longer it ran. BHW

Posted on: 2009/7/4 8:50
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved