Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 73

dick29, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Exhaust System Roundup
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
It seems there is not much discussion about replacement exhaust systems for V8 Packards.

Exhaust work is an area where price differences can be large, and often lower priced parts and service can be as good or even superior.

Do-it-yourself versus farm-it-out is another cost-benefit consideration.

Sound is one of the most important and tricky aspects. The big luxury cars of the era often had a fairly deep exhaust note. Do some prefer the smooth silence of Packard Touring tradition?

Power and performance, including gas mileage, is a tricky goal to meet.

Acquiring a 50+ year old car usually means it will require exhaust work.
I'd like to get a jump on planning for this, and there must be a wealth of expertise out there.

A story or two about patchwork jobs found on newly acquired cars would be entertaining and instructive (what to look for).

Henry's patched in dual exhaust by the previous owner of his Constellation was quite entertaining! Hope you get that sorted out, Henry!

But most of all, what has worked best for the buck for y'all with experience, or those with ideas they think would work well.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 2:09
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: Exhaust System Roundup
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The 55-56 Packard exhaust system is difficult. The LEFT exhaust pipe (attaches to manifold) is tricky because it bends forward and makes a loop back to clear power steering and other chassis obstacles.
The center pipes pass thru the X member at two different places, the rear X member pass thru requires a kind of "S" bend. Obtaining proper clearence at the bumper ports is tricky too. Over the axle hangers are not ez to access.

There has been numerous complaints of mail order exhaust parts from various reliable vendores not fitting.

The problem with farming it out to local muffler shops is that one never knows what kind of 'modifications' they make. Such as drilling or blowing a small hole thru the frame with an arc welder or plazma cutter to allow for an ez hanger mount or readjustment.

I WOULD AVOID STAINLESS STEEL exhaust systems. SS is very difficult to bend or weld or swell if the need to do so arises.

Basically, we are dealing with a custom exhaust system here that needs to be hand fitted and most likely adjusted by a little bending here and there to get a good fit.

My recommendation is to to preserve the old stock pipes to use AS A DESIGN-CHECK PATTERN. Buy from a vendor or let a muffler shop bend up the pipe piece by piece and use the original as a pattern.

If u don't have a torch for heating and relatively cheap pipe bender ( about $200 from Harbour Freight) then u're at the mercy of the world.

NOTE THAT I MENTION the cheapo pipe bender NOT as a do-all, cure-all, make-all solution but as an adjustment tool to make the pipes fit should there be some variation between pipe that is bought from vendors or bent up by muffler shops that happen not to fit exactly like they should.

IIRC ALL of the Packard Exhaust hangers can be easily restored at even the least of sophisticated home shops by using tire carcus. The muffler shops won't do that. They willl use some 'off-the shelf' hangers and 'make them fit'.

Bottom line: patience will win out. But it is more of a custom 'cut, bend, adjust and fit' project than it is a turn-key exhaust system from vendors or muffler shops.

Be sure to use GOOD pipe. Some pipe is very thin wall because it is ez to bend and work with. But it will rust/burn out fast.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 7:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
When I got my 1956 400, the car had an all original exhaust system that had rust holes in all 8 pieces. I agree with the above reply. I had a local shop put the 6 new original Packard exhaust parts I had in stock on the car and use the two remaining original pieces as patterns. I absolutely insisted that all of the original hangars be saved. To help that process along, I carefully removed several of them, glass beaded and painted them and put them back on the car before I took it to the shop. There are still a lot of original V-8 exhaust pieces out there if you look. I got a pair of resonators at the Toronto national meet and a muffler at the South Bend national meet. This fall at Hershey I got two mufflers and a pair of resonators. My cars are now set should they need replacements. Start looking for original pieces now, not when you need them. What ever you do, don't let the guy at the muffler shop go crazy with his main tool, the cutting torch. They love to cut hangars and make holes where there were none before.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 8:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Joel writes:

" What ever you do, don't let the guy at the muffler shop go crazy with his main tool, the cutting torch. They love to cut hangars and make holes where there were none before."

AMEN, AMEN and amen!!!

Posted on: 2009/11/10 8:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'd like a pair of cut-outs for mine.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 8:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I have installed two mail order dual exhaust systems on two different 56 seniors. One was mild steel and the other was stainless. Both were from Keppich. I was very pleased with both systems, neither reqired additional bending. The hangers are hard to find, but can be fabricated. The hanger where the pipes go through the X frame are a pain.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Another excellent choice for the hangers, in addition to tire carcass, is a peice of conveyer belt, and is very similar to original material.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Very helpful discussion. Thanks all.

I think as far as fabricating caveats and tips, Packard V8 covered the ground very well. Good practical tips, and a good description of the system itself. I did not know it was that snaky. Never got a good look at one, or did any exhaust work myself, except coat-hanger-and-tin-can stuff when I was a youngster.

The sources are greatly appreciated, too. I imagine NOS parts are getting very rare. I think my dad got some parts from SASCO back in the day. I had no idea that hangers were that big of an issue. Apparently neither do muffler shops!

Can someone comment on the mufflers and resonators themselves? What kind of combinations make the kind of sound you like, and let the engine perform at its best?

Any off-the shelf mufflers and resonators recommended?

The pros and cons of the single versus the dual systems, and what kind of parts are needed for each would help complete the picture. Also, whether the '55s differ at all from the '56. I would assume not, but then I ought not to assume anything.

For anyone acquiring a V8 Packard, I would think this topic would be a primary concern... like if the car's system is no good, how much should the price be adjusted.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 22:54
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I wouldn't know, I just put straight pipes and glass packs on them and be done with it.

Boooowhhhhaaaaappppmmmhhhhh!

Posted on: 2009/11/10 23:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Cobbled together systems? like the one on my 55 that has a budwieser can with rtv and a coathanger as a patch/ connector?

I would love to replace the exhuast on my 56, or at least the mufflers and back, to get rid of that wimpy, small diameter pipe.

My system does not have resonators, but has an otherwise very stock looking system and hangers. Id probably go for a set of classic flowmasters to help bring out the sound and liven up the breathing a little.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 18:00
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved