Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 85

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

'55-'56 A/C Systems
Just popping in
Just popping in

Russ Gagliano
See User information
I have a '55 Patrician with factory A/C, I would like to covert to modern system with Sanden compressor, etc. Does anyone make a complete change over kit ? especially compressor mounting brackets, extra pulley, etc.

I also have '56 Carribean, non air car that I want to install same system.......can anyone help me ?

Posted on: 2007/10/18 13:43
 Top  Print 

Re: '55-'56 A/C Systems
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Russ, I know a few folks have switched over to modern A/C systems that use Sanden compressors. But I am not sure if they have a "Packard ready" kit to make it easy or not.

But I will let those folks chime in as they can probably explain it better.

Posted on: 2007/10/18 14:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information

Posted on: 2007/10/18 17:49
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There is a business opportunity for someone to come up with a ready to go bracket, parts list, and instuctions for using a Sanden compressor on the Packard V8s. Also the same for the Straight 8's would be welcome also.

I would think that the pulley arrangement would be the hardest piece to work out if the car was not already equipted for A/C.

Posted on: 2007/10/18 19:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
If you decide to go the Sanden compressor route you could use a Mark V unit from classic air under the IP--pretty tidy and it works!

Posted on: 2007/10/18 23:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Greetings,

I have three engines with aftermarket AC setups, complete with brackets, pulleys and compressors. The interesting thing is all three are different. Two mount the compressor on the passenger's side and one on the driver'side. All three compressors are different. One is the Lehigh, one a York and not sure on the third. If anyone is interested, I could adapt a Sanden, put new bearings in the idler pulley, paint it up and ship it ready to install.

thnx, jv.

Posted on: 2007/10/19 19:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I would think that the pulley arrangement would be the hardest piece to work out if the car was not already equipted for A/C.

As for the V8's, all you need is a spare power steering pulley and a longer crank bolt. The pulley's fit inside each other, and needs the longer bolt (about 1/4") to make up the difference. This is how I did the supercharger setup on my '56, and it's been reliable for over a year. The straight eights can use a 300cid Ford six balancer which has multitudes of pulley options.

Posted on: 2007/10/20 2:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Another BRILLiANT discovery by Eric. I had never thot to try a power steering pulley inplace of the AC pulley.
It does beg the question tho as to why Packard made special puleys for the AC. My guess is that Packard never thot to try it either.

Posted on: 2007/10/22 21:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You're right Keith - it's so simple it's brilliant. I'll try that tomorrow.

Posted on: 2007/10/22 21:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You'll need to use a spacer washer between the two pulleys, but it's no big deal. I think I even have some spare bolts for the crank, too. (I had to buy a 5 pack instead of just one when I did the supercharger, I think they're still in the trunk of the Pat) When it comes to simple solutions, I usually have some good ones, as I'm always broke and need a cheap fix, instead of a $200 pulley!

EDIT: I also think that the 300 six Ford crank pulleys will fir the V8's, as the crank diameter is the same for both engines, along with 302/351W Fords, 3.8L Buicks, and 3.8L Ford V6's. I'm sure there's more, but you have to watch balancing, if you use the 302/351W, get the aftermarket ones that have the removable weights. This is what I plan to do on my 374, along with a different water pump.

Posted on: 2007/10/23 0:39
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved