Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 78

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

320 bore size
Just popping in
Just popping in

proofyeq
See User information
While trying to find what the stock bore size is for a 320, I have came across 3 numbers. The service manual says 3.1875(3/16"), but have seen other people post that its 3.8125(13/16") and saw another one that said 3.817". I was wondering if the service manual is actually the correct number. Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 7:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 320 bore size
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like you might be confused by 2 entirely different engines, both of which happen to displace 320 cubic inches. The prewar in-line Eight 320 used thru 1939 has a bore of 3-3/16 inch. The 320 of the postwar V8 era has a bore of 3-13/16.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I just bought a nice old 1955-56 Service Manual, and quickly scanning through it noticed the same error in the specifications for the 320 cu. in. V-8 - a bore specification of 3 3/16". Obviously an error. In the back of the manual the bore specification is correct at 3 13/16". I wonder how many problems this typo has cost over the years?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/4/12 10:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

proofyeq
See User information
Excellent, thanks a lot fellas.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 10:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting little lack of proof reading there. Hopefully not too much damage was done since it looks like most apparently don't read that part--I mean look how long it has been there and just now someone has mentioned it. As you said, correct specs are in the spec section and also service counselors.

Just curious--Think my manual is an early version since it has a big blank spot instead of a picture for figure 3 - longitudinal section. Is yours the second version with something in fig 3 yet still has the error?

Posted on: 2010/4/12 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My manual has the longitudinal section of the engine in Figure 3.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/4/13 11:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved