Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 172

Todd W. White, BigKev, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 115C Restoration Paint and Interior Advise
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tom Beaver
See User information
I am at that stage on the restoration that I need to decide whether to repaint the car the original color (which was a fairly dark gun metal gray) or change it to a Maroon Color. I have the paint chips for 1937 but like the 1932 centennial maroon better. I am also at the cross roads on he upholstery as well. The original was mohair and I am considering leather. I doubt that I will seriously show the car and I really don't see selling it either. I bought it when I was 16 and am now 59 years old. That being said, who knows what the offspring will do with it when I kick the bucket. Am I hurting the value if I move in these directions? Thank you for any advise you can throw my way. -Tom

Posted on: 2010/10/25 2:03
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 115C Restoration Paint and Interior Advise
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
As long as it is tasteful and reasonably original in style, the value will not be seriously adversely affected - and more importantly, it will be as you desire. Please yourself, not the next owner.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 9:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you certain the original interior upholstery material was mohair and not wool broadcloth? Never seen a prewar junior with mohair, and don't think I've ever seen a Packard of any type with mohair upholstery.

Slight variations from factory colors rarely have much if any affect on values, but incorrect upholstery would possibly have quite an effect, depending on the interests of a future buyer.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 9:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I agree with flackmaster. It's your car so please yourself, not the kids inheritance. You won't be around to worry about it anyway.

Strict authenticity is OK to a point and while a Chevy engine and tiger print upholstery might raise eyebrows, who is to say the first owner decided he liked the maroon paint and leather upholstery better as well, had the car refreshed and it was that way when you got it. Was leather an upgrade option? Packard and their dealers did go a long way to provide a customer what he wanted.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 10:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Please yourself, not the next owner.

This statement seems contrary to many people's opinions on this site, I hope you don't catch too much "flak" over it, lol!

Posted on: 2010/10/25 10:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Strict authenticity is OK to a point and while a Chevy engine and tiger print upholstery might raise eyebrows

TIGER skin? I'd go with tiger skin, that's much hipper man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD-QS2Hccq0

Start it at 4:30...

Posted on: 2010/10/25 10:09
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tom Beaver
See User information
Owen,

I believe you are correct. I was told years ago that it was mohair but it does look more like a wool broadcloth. Thanks for your reply and setting me straight.

Tom

Posted on: 2010/10/26 2:26
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tom Beaver
See User information
Flack,

Thanks for you reply.... I will send photos when done!

Tom

Posted on: 2010/10/26 2:31
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tom Beaver
See User information
To all of you who responded, Thank You. This is a great site and I am learning a lot cruising through it.

Tom

Posted on: 2010/10/26 2:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Is there a link where you can see the paint chips of 40s convertibles ?

Posted on: 2010/10/31 10:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved