Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 44

Oldcaddies , Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Locked Rear end
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jack Chandler
See User information
I am picking up a 1953 Clipper from my sister to begin a resoration project. The car has sat in a shed in central Maine for the last 20 to 30 years.

I can't get the transmission to shift out of park and am wondering if it just frozen in place or if there is some type on interlock.

Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2010/11/8 21:35
 Top  Print   

Re: Locked Rear end
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jack,
to PackardInfo. This thread may help with your problem, if not I'm sure the knowledgeable, experienced and friendly Packard people will.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 21:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is no interlock, other than pulling back on lever slightly before moving. If it does that and the linkage moves you should feel the detents in trans. If you do, and still is locked possibly the park pawl has stuck. If nothing moves then look at base of steering column and verify everything is hooked up and pulling lever back moves the mechanism at bottom. Is the trans stuck in park or have the brakes locked to wheels?

Posted on: 2010/11/8 21:47
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jack Chandler
See User information
If the brakes were locked, which could be the case, would that keep the shift lever from moving? As I recall the least time I tried the shift lever wouldn't move.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 22:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is nothing in trans short of damage that would prevent linkage from moving. Even the park pawl is spring loaded and while it may stick, the rest of linkage should move. I would look at the base of steering column. When you pull the lever back, the arm at bottom that the linkage connects to should move forward slightly to clear a slight locking detent spot in the curved or triangle shaped sector. If it does that, then look at the linkage going to trans. There are a couple of spots it could be binding or something may have been bent.

EDIT: It is highly unlikely, and I don't recall hearing of it but I suppose it is possible after all that sitting that the manual valve could have gotten stuck in trans. That would prevent the linkage from moving. Would have taken some unusual circumstances to do so because the fluid should have prevented any thing like that from happening. If all else fails, then you may have to disconnect the driveshaft so you can move the car until you can work on it..

Attach file:

jpg  (30.44 KB)
209_4cd8bc2f7aa67.jpg 487X831 px

jpg  (37.07 KB)
209_4cd8bc3a34278.jpg 814X567 px

Posted on: 2010/11/8 22:13
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jack Chandler
See User information
I was up in Maine to check some of this yesterday. The linkage is loose, it appears that what doesn't move is the arm that comes out of the side of the transmission. I gave it a few gentle taps but that didn't seem to help.

With the tires off the ground they moved slightly so I'm rulinmg out that the brakes are froze up.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 17:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not a common problem on that era Ultras that I remember--later Twin Ultras, yes. Maybe Ross has come across it.

To move the car, you have the option of disconnecting the drive shaft and hauling to where you can work on it or get under & drain & remove the oil pan and see what has happened.

If you can't move the lever on side of case at all, even with it disconnected from linkage then possibilities are the manual valve has stuck, the linkage has a problem inside the trans, or the detent plunger assy might be sticking or screwed in too tight. The first pict shows some of that linkage, manual valve end and a corner of detent. The nut clamps the assy onto the shaft coming in from outside. If memory serves, the detent plunger assy also screws in from outside and is by the neutral safety switch. On the other side of that valve & link assy is the cam working the park pawl which meshes with the parking gear located just ahead of the tailhousing and above the shaft.

There is a pawl on a lever attached to back of case that pushes up into the park gear when in park. When you put it in park, a cam arrangement on the manual shift lever forces the pawl up against a couple of springs. When the sections line up and pawl can slide into gear, it will. When taking it out of park, the shaft rotates and cam moves away. A spring on the lever is supposed to bring the pawl down. If the pawl is bent or excessively worn, it might have jammed too far in the gear or perhaps the spring to pull it down has broken but neither should keep the entire gearshift lever from moving.

Anyway, some things to look at if you decide to give it a go.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.30 KB)
209_4cf2e0e9ce387.jpg 507X351 px

jpg  (12.72 KB)
209_4cf2e0f2d5b1f.jpg 336X230 px

Posted on: 2010/11/28 17:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I've never encountered an early style Ultra being terminally stuck in park--but there is a first time for everything. What I rather think has happened is that the detent plunger has ridden somehow off the end of the cam.

I suggest unscrewing the detent housing out of the side of the trans, extract its spring and plunger, and see if you can get things to move. That would be the approx 1-1/8 hex fitting that is mounted just above the shift lever on the trans, the one without the wires.

If the shifter still won't move, try unscrewing the neutral safety switch. Perchance its guts have somehow popped out.

In any event, at some point you will have to methodically go through your linkage from the column right through to inside the pan to check the adjustments.

On third thought, after reading the beginning of the post, I wonder if the car was put away with a bit of water or other nasty stuff in the trans. What's the dipstick look like when you pull it out?

I have had a car rollbacked here with the trans filled with rancid brake fluid. That was special

Posted on: 2010/11/28 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
HH56:

Which manual are the pictures of the linkage out of? I'd like to get a diagram of the linkage on the other side, the rod from the carb to the tv pivot on the bellhousing and back from there for my 50. Haven't come across it on anything i've downloaded here but i often miss things. You always seem to post the perfect diagram or paragraphs and know right where to go to get it!

Posted on: 2010/11/29 10:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I haven't found any with a complete picture of the entire linkage -- just bits and pieces. Vol 24 #4 SChttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL24NO4.pdf has the part on side of trans - bellcrank back, and how to adjust. The first volume of the 3 part complete Ultramatic Service Training manual has bits on the side of engine and carb from bellcrank up.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/Ultramatic_part1.pdf It is a large download, so here is a pertinent picture.

Not sure how much help either will be because Packard relied on gauges to set up all the adjustments. So far, I have not found any direct measurements we can use -- just snippets of clearances.

Attach file:

jpg  (228.29 KB)
209_4cf3d16bcfd88.jpg 1196X1600 px

Posted on: 2010/11/29 11:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved