Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 73

37Blanche, Packard Don, Packard Lover, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

strange engine in my super clipper.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeroen
See User information
Hello all, Happy Newyear!! Im new to this Forum, great to see so many information about the Packard. 2 weeks ago i bought me a 1954 super clipper, its in a fair condition, chrome could be better, but technical its ok. After reading into some specs. i found some strange things on my car, first i saw the 288 stamped on the head, but the engine number says L327445 that refers to a`53 372cui, is that even possible to use a 288 head on a 372 block?

i will have alot more questions i think, but time will tell.
i have put a pic with it

Attach file:

jpg  (54.38 KB)
3384_4d1f2ababccea.jpg 800X665 px

Posted on: 2011/1/1 8:26
 Top  Print   

Re: strange engine in my super clipper.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Welcome to the forum! Yes it is possible and common to use the 288 head on a 327 engine. It is supposed to raise the compression ratio a little bit. Exaxtly how much it will raise it, I don't know.

Posted on: 2011/1/1 8:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom Wolt
See User information
Happy newyear! And welcome to the Packard forum. Nice to see that there is a "new" Packard in The Netherlands.

Vertel me maar eens een keer hoe je de ruitenwissermotor hebt gerepareerd, bij mij doet het ding het nog niet (please tell me how you repaired the wipermotor, mine doesn't work).

Tom

Posted on: 2011/1/1 8:48
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeroen
See User information
Thanx Tobs, that solves my question

Posted on: 2011/1/1 8:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Welcome Jerome. Glad to have a new member on board. Be sure to check out Big Kev's blog on his 54 Clipper. It will give you a lot of tips and ideas for your auto.

Posted on: 2011/1/1 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Your engine number identifies it as you say, a 327 cu. in. Coincidentally the first three digits are 327. Also, it is the variant with the solid or adjustable valve tappets and 5-main bearings. It was rated at 160 b.h.p., but with the 288 cylinder head providing a higher compression ratio, the power may be up a bit.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/1/1 12:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeroen
See User information
Thanx for all the information, very helpfull.
And TW about the wipermotor? i just cleaned out the old grease, soaked the leather in ATF for 2 days new gaskets on it and let it run on ATF instead of thick grease, we need thinner fluids here in the Netherlands, its too cold.
mine works perfect now.

Posted on: 2011/1/1 15:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved