Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 92

Rich49, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1941 power windows
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ineffabill
See User information
Hello to all, this is my first post to the Packard forum. I'm a mechanic, & I'm looking for help in repairing a "shop project", a 1941 180 Touring Sedan (model 1907).
To date I have performed a "light" engine overhaul, radiator rebuild, new chassis wiring harness, & new brake hydraulics.
Currently I am repairing the power window system. It needs cylinders, solenoids, & hoses. The pump wasn't as bad as I expected for 70 years of brake fluid exposure. BUT, I did have to fabricate a seat for the relief valve due to heavy pitting. Now I need to dial it in.
My question is this, what is the maximum pressure that the pump should produce? Right now I have 85-90 psi "deadhead". That sounds way too high - I'd get about 300 lbs force from the cylinder.
Thanks - Any help is appreciated.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 18:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 power windows
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
120-130 psi and in reverse, a vacuum of 15-18 inches per service counselor Vol 14 #19https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SL-VOL14NO19.pdf There is an introductory description and some basic specs and testing info in that article as well.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 18:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ineffabill
See User information
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess you need that much pressure because of the high ratio-window regulator design.

I needed a small shim under the relief valve spring to get pressure up to spec.

When I checked vacuum, it pulled HARD, almost 30" ! (I expected my vac gauge to implode.) That's a dang powerful motor- those windows should go down just fine.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 15:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The big spring pulling them down doesn't hurt either. Stretching that thing is probably why they need so much pressure.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 15:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day ineffabill,
Just want to say, to PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 19:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Using this same topic for further questions:

In service counselor Vol 14 #19, which HH56 posted, it shows a pump with apparently no reservoir and then an oil (brake fluid?) deposit. Many cars of the 40's with hydraulic systems have a pump and reservoir in one unit. Is this pump and reservoir on the '41's common with any other car? (You can tell that I am missing mine).

Thanks,
victor

Posted on: 2011/1/27 18:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
All Packard hydraulic windows used brake fluid. Pre war pumps are unique and apparently good ones are somewhat hard to come by. They have a separate reservoir container and mount horizontally under the floor. Pump is reversible & turns one way for pressure up to raise and reverse direction for a suction effect helped by the spring to lower. Solenoid valve is inline with the hose to cylinder.

Postwar pumps are vertical and firewall or fender mounted, have an integral reservoir, and only turn one direction for pressure out to raise. Down relies on pump remaining off, just opening the solenoid valve built into the cylinder and spring pressure then pulling the window down.

Posted on: 2011/1/27 18:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Interesting explanation Howard. Thanks!

I will have to keep my eyes open for a prewar pump.

Victor

Posted on: 2011/1/27 18:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The '41 had a separate reservoir (for brake fluid) mounted to the frame next to the pump. Here's mine... please excuse my favorite scraping implement.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.74 KB)
188_4d420510a1d83.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2011/1/27 18:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
"The reason no one messes with JD's reservoir tank."

hahah

Posted on: 2011/1/27 19:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved