Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 137

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

34 muffler replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
I am shortly going to need a new muffler for my 34 and seem to recall some correspondence from Owen D but cant find it on the forums. I need to know the Outside dia. the length less snouts, snout diameters and the muffler diameter.
many thanks.
Terry

Posted on: 2011/3/3 10:55
 Top  Print   

Re: 34 muffler replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Terry: I've got a bit of experience here, OEM-type and sized mufflers haven't been available for decades from any of the modern makers. The first I had made was by Kepich and it was an unadulterated POS, sounded like a B-29 struggling for airspeed. Second was by Hibernia, not much better. The last, last year, was made by Automotive Restorations (Borla East) who had finally gotten prints of the interior construction and the internal resonator chamber (Sup 8 and Twelve had separate resonators). Autopsy of the Kepick and Hibernia mufflers showed they were just a piece of perforated central pipe with a shell, no baffles, no nothing. The Automotive Restorations muffler is perfect! Cost in SS was $400.

I did post some of my muffler job on PAC's forum which is down for some maintenance at the moment; when it's back I'll give you a link. But the OD of the muffler is 4-1/4 inches and even at that just barely clears the cross-chassis brake shaft. I can crawl under and get you the length if my old post on PAC doesn't give it. But I'll bet OZ beats me to it!

I guess you're going to have a muffler custom-made?

PS - here's the link with some pictures, you'll have to scroll down a few posts. Looks like i didn't record the OAL but as you can see, it's a LONG one. If Oz doesn't get here first, I'll go out and measure for you.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=420

Posted on: 2011/3/3 11:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Terry and Dave,

If I remember correctly, the length of Wade's muffler body was 4' without taking into account the inlet and outlet flanges. I'll try to remember to check that later today when I'm down at the workshop.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 14:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Dave and Mal,

That's a big help, Yes Dave you guessed correctly that I am going to have the muffler custom made. There is a guy near me who specializes in American car exhausts and I will have it made there. Your picture of the knackered exhaust will be a big help.
Thanks again

Terry

Posted on: 2011/3/3 14:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Have you considered two smaller mufflers? Shorter ones in the right diameter might be available. Just a thought.

(0{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/3 19:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved