Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
66 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 65

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Positive Ground to Negative
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I am thinking about changing the ground polarity on my '55 Clipper Super from the as made positive to negative, the modern convention. The car is a simple one with no T-L, TU, or any power equipment and accessories except for a radio and electric actuated antenna, and standard heater-defroster. The radio is stock and has not had any solid state components installed.

As I understand it, one simply turns the battery around, reverses the leads on the ignition coil, and re-polarizes the generator.

I would like to do this to be able to dirctly plug-in cell phone and navigation device in the lighter without having to go to get polarity inverters.

Anyone done this? Any words of wisdom on the proposed change?

Thanks.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/6 16:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Positive Ground to Negative
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Yes, I did this on my 55 Pat and yes, it is that simple. You MIGHT have a problem with the voltage regulator. If it goes up in smoke with the generator running, just buy a neg ground or either way regulator to replace it. With a Clipper, I'm not sure about the idiot ammeter light. You might have to reverse the leads on it if it acts funny (light on when running).

Craig

Posted on: 2011/4/6 17:15
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Don't forget to switch the plus and minus leads on your coil. The amp light will not be a problem.

Posted on: 2011/4/6 17:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Don't forget to switch the plus and minus leads on your coil. The amp light will not be a problem.

JW noted that in his original post. That's probably the least important thing to do since a coil will work with either polarity.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/4/6 17:49
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
While the coil with work either way to some degree. It works better the correct way, otherwise there would be no need for polarity markers on the terminals.

Idiot light is just a light bulb, and as with all light filament bulbs, they are not polarity sensitive.

Posted on: 2011/4/6 18:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, you are correct. There was a recent discussion on coils and their connections. Basically, the lead that goes from the coil to the distributor follows the vehicle's battery ground polarity (e.g. negative ground battery - negative terminal of coil to distributor). It seems to me the pluses outweigh any minuses, so I will change the polarity. The voltage regulator (VR206 Echlin) is marked for either positive or negative ground. I'll let folks here know how this change works.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/7 16:15
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Just a short update to let you know the polarity switch worked just fine. Thanks to all who provided advice and direction. I also installed a Cole-Hersee battery cut-off switch for safety and security.

(o{I}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (35.25 KB)
565_4da10f3c400dc.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/4/9 21:03
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved