Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 157

Joe, Gary Kulp, CartRich, Paul E. Gallagher, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Air Cleaner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
I need some assistance with my Non-Oil bath air cleaner on my 1953 Clipper Deluxe.

Does anyone know of a direct replacement filter element (paper or otherwise) that might fit? I'd be seeking model numbers, etc.

Also, in regards to the proper decals for the non-oil bath- I haven't found one so far. The only thing I've come across would be the one that Max Merrit sells (And I believe another website as well) which most places that sell it state that it is for all 48-54 models (Some specify that its for Oil Bath only but "1948-54 Air Cleaner (All models except with 359 Engine)"

Is there a decal for the Non-Oil bath air cleaner on a 1948-54 and if so, who sells them?? And as a side note, what would be the proper location for such a decal?

Thats a lot of questions, huh?

Here's a pic of my cleaner.

Attach file:

jpg  (110.96 KB)
3620_4d9d2c62df151.jpg 1008X726 px

Posted on: 2011/4/6 22:15
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Re: Air Cleaner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Surprised to see a paper filter on a 1953 car. My recollection is they did not appear until several years later.

This is confirmed by a mid sixties parts catalog. It lists various parts back to the forties but the oldest air filter elements are 1957. It does not show any Packard filters at all.

Could your filter be from a late 50s car that happened to share the same model of carburetor?

Posted on: 2011/4/6 23:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My 51 200 has the same air filter, but the filter is a woven metal mesh, similar to what you would find in an earlier oil-bath type. Looks like someone replaced yours with a newer paper type, which will probably protect the engine much better. The senior series had the "up and over" type oil bath filters I believe, and they could be purchased as an option.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 15:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Hmm, perhaps I didn't come across clearly. I have the wire mesh in my car (pictured). I'm looking to replace it (just the element itself) with a modern paper or even K&N style element but need a cross-reference or model number of what would fit. My next option would be to find a new OEM replacement (probably a reproduction or NOS item). I haven't called the usual suspects (Kanter, Max Merritt) yet but I have checked their websites quite well and don't see anything pictured there.

My last option would be just replace the air cleaner entirely which I have inquired about via a user in the Buy/Sell forum for the '53 model year, but I think right now I'm leaning towards a stock appearance, although a nice chrome air cleaner would look pretty in there.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 22:19
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Rich, just take measurements of the filter element you are replacing and go to your local parts store and start sorting through their air filters. This is what I have done. You will find an element that will work. It just takes a little time and patience.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/7 22:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Rich,
I own a 53 Clipper Deluxe 4 door same model as you and it came with a oil mesh air filter when I bought it. Like you, I wanted to replace the oil mesh filter with a paper one. You may find one to exactly fit, but if you do, you have done better than me. I went to a cooperative clerk at our local NAPA store and the closest we could come to an air filter that would fit was NAPA Gold Air Filter 6023. Only problem with NAPA Gold Air Filter 6023 is that it is a bit too tall. When you put the domed top over the air filter, the domed air filter top hits the hood. To use 6023, you would have to replace the domed air filter top with a flat air filter top, which would not exactly be stock. I may also have used an extension on the fastening bolt, I don't remember for sure. I suppose you can use the flat air filter top when you "go", and replace it with the oil mesh and the dome top when you "show". Or you could do like I eventually did, which was buy an oil bath air filter which is authentic which provides better filtration than the oil mesh, but not as good as a paper filter. There's a picture of my oil bath air filter that I bought on eBay in my project blog if you want to see it. I have heard that K & N Filters will build custom filters, so that might be another alternative. If anyone has found a paper filter that fits the oil mesh air cleaner on this car I would like to hear about it. Hope that helps!
Ken

Posted on: 2011/4/8 19:36
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
We've been thru this before, I think it's well accepted that oil bath air filters are extremely efficient; dry paper filters gained popularity because of the ease of servicing and much lower cost, not because they offered significantly better filtration. The oiled mesh filters however, even if maintained by the book (which they rarely are) don't offer the same filtration efficiency.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 22:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
How about wrapping the stock mesh filter with an oiled foam sleeve? Dirt bikes use them and they are available from motorcycle shops. Could be an easy way to get improved filtration, easily removable for car shows.

You can buy the foam by the sheet and make your own filter, cut with scissors and glue it together with a hot glue gun.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 10:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Would also like to add, with the low miles you put on a collector car the difference in engine life should be negligible unless you drive on dirt roads all the time. I know on today's roads in a temperate climate ordinary paper air filters last nearly forever. There just isn't that much dust on a paved road anymore.

Just clean your stock filter and oil it with motorcycle filter oil and it should be fine.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 13:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oiled foam sleeve seems a very practical idea if you're looking for improved air filtration with an oiled mesh filter, good idea Rusty. But I'd look for a way to put it inboard of the original mesh so it can't be seen and thus you wouldn't have to remove it for judging if that was a concern.

Don't know what "motorcycle oil" means, but the general recommendation of Packard and others for oil bath and oil mesh air filters was typically SAE-50, still easy to find at auto stores.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 14:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved