Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

John Sauser, BlackBeerd, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Under Hood Insulation
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
When I purchased my 1954 Packard Clipper Super the under hood insulation pad was absent/removed. I am considering replacing it primarily to protect the paint on the exterior surface of the hood.

Is it necessary to have an insulation pad on the under surface of the hood to protect the paint?

What have you guys done or what vendor(s) have you used to replace the under hood insulation pad?

Thanks Again!

Posted on: 2011/6/2 17:41
 Top  Print 

Re: Under Hood Insulation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't say if it's necessary since it wasn't used prior to 53 according to the parts books. Expect that will be a subject with different opinions. Packard made it standard even on the cheapest models from 53 on so I guess that could work into a question of whether they found a need or maybe more a marketing thing.

I just ordered one for my 56 from Dwight H. at Packard partshttp://packardparts.org/parts.htm but haven't received it yet to give any feedback or other information.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 18:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thank you, Howard

Your input is much appreciated!

Warren

Posted on: 2011/6/2 18:48
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
i have ordered from dh and installed insulation on my 54. I think it cuts some of the noise. that big engine is sitting in a tin can without some kind of sound deadening.

john

Posted on: 2011/6/2 19:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thanks, John

Posted on: 2011/6/2 19:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had my interior guy make one for the 400 using the original as a pattern. I used a water heater blanket for the insulation as it was glued to a vinyl sheet and it was the proper color yellow. I bought one from DH for the Caribbean, but haven't installed it yet.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 21:14
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The original style for '54 and prior is just a tan fiberglass blanket. The black nice looking ones are for the 55/56 cars I believe.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 1:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Yhe black vinyl faced insulation is 56 only. 1955 used a gray unfaced insulation.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 6:23
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved