Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 42

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Not Your Everyday Packard, Tales of a 30s sedan
Just popping in
Just popping in

hookedOn240
See User information
EDIT: If you want to share information about this car or send me some helpful info my email is Eclipsegt24@nycap.rr.com

This is not what i expected to find as i went to a house local looking at a old ford coupe that had been sitting outside covered since before i was born (im 23 as of now 7/28/11). I had looked at it everyday riding the bus by it...now fast forward and i have the time/money for a major project such as this. I go upto ask and the new owners of the house wont even let me look at it. Wouldnt tell me anything about it...i think i knew more then they did...

anyways about a block away is a small car junkyard/scraping place. My friend pointed it out. At first i thought it was a Studebaker... as soon as i seen those front fenders.. i knew exactly what it was.

1932 Sedan

Above the VIN plate it says <|156440|> Not sure what that is.

Plans: (Restorers look away haha)

Engine/Mechanical
~Toyota 2JZGTE motor and Standard transmission (They come in 5 and 6 Speed)
~~3L 24 Valve DOHC Twin Turbo Straight 6. ~276hp Stock
~~~(Single medium sized turbo will be used)
~Front and rear Coilover Suspension
~New axles/spindles/etc I want 5x114 lug pattern all-around. (ALOT of wheels made now a days are this type of bolt pattern.)

Exterior
~Original gas tank is coming out and New fuel Cell is going behind the rear seats.
~Roll pan to connect the two rear fenders will serve as a bumper.
~Original Rear tire placement is not going to be used.
~Need a front bumper
~Replace the rear door handles
~Roof... i have no idea about.

Interior
~Custom dash and floor pans.
~Driver and Passenger seat are either going to be racing seats or just updated bucket seats.
~Behind D&P seats is a bench seat

Thats pretty much it for now.

Attach file:

jpg  (140.23 KB)
3891_4e3238b28fa6f.jpg 1296X968 px

jpg  (181.75 KB)
3891_4e3238c232461.jpg 1296X968 px

jpg  (179.26 KB)
3891_4e3238ce47408.jpg 1296X968 px

jpg  (133.09 KB)
3891_4e32390f01922.jpg 1296X968 px

Posted on: 2011/7/28 23:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Not Your Everyday Packard, Tales of a 30s sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
It's a 1932 Packard Standard Eight Sedan. Details on the model can be found here.

As to your plans... I'll just look away.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 23:56
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

hookedOn240
See User information
Haha thanks alot for teh information.

and i expect diehard packard people... are going to disown me lol :)

Posted on: 2011/7/29 0:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day hookedOn240,
to PackardInfo. From the numbers on the ID plate and after referencing the Packard Model Info from the Main Menu it appears you have a '32 503 Standard Eight Sedan. The <156440> stamped into the firewall is the Thief Proof number. Can you advise the Engine Number? This should be stamped on left(drivers) side of block. One of our members collects this information and your input would assist his collating data on these numbers.

Looks like you're putting your hand up to do a lot of work to make your mark on this Packard and make it your own. Most, ie almost all the members here, wouldn't want to do what you're going to do because of their respect for originality and authenticity. However, although I generally subscribe to keeping things correct and factory, I for one will be following along as things progress so keep us updated.

Finally, I invite you to include your '32 Standard Eight Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 0:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Dave(JD) beat me to it, thanks to my long-winded reply!

Another thought, if you go ahead and replace all the mechanicals in the car as well as things like seats, upholstery, gauges, switches, etc could you please use the PackardInfo For Sale Forum as a source for disposal of those and any other Packard items you don't end up using?

EDIT - Didn't know what a Toyota 2JZGTE engine was so Googled it, now I know! For others, scroll down the Wikipedia entry till you come to the right number.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 0:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

hookedOn240
See User information
I will gather all the info when i go back to where it is in the next few days. I haven't yet brought it home. Im doing some deep cleaning/remodel on my house and im going to have a long dumpster in my driveway.. and i cant imagine this is going to be easy to move with 2 flat tires and 4500lbs from my front lawn to my driveway.

And i know all about diehard owners and there love to keep a car authentic. Ive been around cars daily since i was born, with my dad and my grandfather.

BMW owners are still far worst then anyone that i know when it comes to cars haha!

EDIT: EVERYTHING i dont use and comes off this car is to be put forsale. I hate to throw anything out someone else can use.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 0:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you want a Toyota why dont you just buy a Toyota. Seriously dude what are you thinking. That car would be way cooler kept stock. If you do the mods you are talking about you will be sorry. Maybe not right away but you will.

Packard was one of the most powerful cars of its day. That car in good shape would have no trouble keeping up with traffic.

I can also tell you the program you have mapped out is a lot harder and more expensive than it looks. I have done a few hot rods and I know. Can also tell you that there is a very strong chance, if you start to cut up a car like that, it will NEVER be finished and will end up as junk.

If you want to get into hot rodding start with something easier like a Chev from the 8Os.

Can also tell you, the value of a stock 32 Packard in top shape is $45OOO. Modified, way less. In other words you could work on that car for years, and pour thousands into it, and it would be worth less money than when you brought it home.

But if you restore it stock the money you spend will increase its value.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 6:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
While 5-pass sedans aren't near the top of the value pyramid, a 503 with disteel wheels and rear-mounted spare is IMO a particularly attractive example of the era and certainly warrants serious consideration for an authentic restoration. One would hope the body wood is reasonably sound but given the location and storage conditions, that might not be very likely.

Got the BDN and VN for my project, thanks for that data.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 8:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i can tell you if this was anywhere near me....i'd buy it before you could get a chance just to keep you from doing what you are going to do to it.....ruin it.

but there is nothing i can do...so hack at it, but you will make several people cry on here.

even if that is at the bottom of the value pit....man what a beautiful classy looking car. i bet that thing would be so amazing original and classy......toyota.....turd-ota.

just my two cents.

Hank

p.s. no offense meant. just expressing.

p.s.s. i've been around BMW for years.....my z3 is in 2 magazines....never experienced the same level of criticizm over not keeping it original as a Packard man i can tell you that.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 8:48
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

hookedOn240
See User information
HI HATERS! hahaha.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 10:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved