Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

23rd Series Heater Valve
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I am deep into replacing the wiring harness on my 1950 Packard 23rd series Deluxe Touring Sedan. I pulled the heater in order to inspect it, paint the firewall, and replace the blower wiring. I have a question about the heater valve.

This part is controlled by a cable which opens and closes the water flow. In addition there is a small diameter tube coming out of the valve just hanging there under the dash. My radiator expert thinks this is a "capillary" tube which responds to temperature and somehow controls the water flow. Does anyone know what this device does?

Also is there some simple way to test the function of the heater valve "capillary" tube device?

Posted on: 2011/7/22 21:25
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

Re: 23rd Series Heater Valve
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is a capillary tube and the unit is a thermostatically operated valve with the cable determining the set point. This service counselor article on page 105 shows where the tube should be attached so it is not "just hanging" and subject to damage.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL21NO22.pdf

One way to test is to move the wire cable adjust lever to about midway so as to open the valve some. If you can see it visually, great. Otherwise, you may have to fix something up to be able to blow thru the valve. Using a low heat hair dryer, carefully heat the capillary tube end a bit to around a fairly hot heater air temperature and the valve should close. Be careful not to heat so much as to damage or blow the bellows. The valve may not totally shut off the water or air when closed but pretty near.

I don't know if those are the typical Ranco valves used 51 on with just a different tube or is a different brand. If the Ranco, am surprised the rubber valve seal is still good & not leaking. Those later seals you can still get from Napa but not sure if they will fit an earlier model.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 21:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Thanks very much for your help. I find the Packard parts places supply a rebuilt unit exchange and that capillary tube will be correctly installed. I guess I will do that so I have everything in good shape. This is a pretty exotic heater for 60+ years ago.

Posted on: 2011/7/24 11:49
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I can confirm the Napa replacement Ranco seals also fit the Ranco equipped prewar models. It same, it same.

Posted on: 2011/7/24 12:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved