Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ultramatic will not let go when stopping - 1950
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Always something. I have a '50 with an ultramatic.

If I am driving along in "second gear" and I stop for a light the car bucks-n-dies. Like driving a standard and forgetting to push the clutch in when stopping.

If I am in "first gear" I can stop normally and it doesn't do its buck-n-die act.

If I am in "second gear" and I put it in neutral prior to stopping then I can put it in drive and idle for the light to change then proceed. No problem.

The trans upshifts normally and smoothly. Problem occurs when it is both hot and cold. Has fluid.

Any ideas on how to fix this ?

Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2011/9/15 7:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic will not let go when stopping - 1950
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here's what the manual says. Hopefully someone with some experience with the problem will chime in.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.16 KB)
188_4e7201a9429be.jpg 814X439 px

Posted on: 2011/9/15 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Like driving a standard and forgetting to push the clutch in when stopping.

That's a good analogy for when the Direct Drive clutch fails to disengage.

If you check the 1948-50 Service Index, Ultramatic section, you'll find several topics on that very problem grouped under "Direct Drive". There were also some related problems with governor valves sticking.

Maybe Ross can offer some additional insight, when he has a chance.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 9:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like it is going to be a little involved to fix. Hopefully I can keep driving it like this and not destroy anything else.

OTG

Posted on: 2011/9/15 10:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Given it "Ultras" into direct and doesn't make wierd noises I would go with the 2/3 likelyhood of a valve body problem.

I would go to Napa and buy some trans conditioner and change the oil if you want to spend more on the problem.

Good luck.

PS: UM's can have these problems go away by themselves too, but stalling the motor is a severe condition.

Also, I would refrain from using L - H takeoff except when necessary. This results in what is called a "synchronous shift" which is hard on the direct clutch. Anytime I operate UM I just leave it in High and floorboard the accelerator if necessary.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 16:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
+1 on tims "don't shift yourself" advice

I've had this issue before on my 50. It was after a rebuild and turned out to be:

1)i had the idle up too high because the engine was running rough.

and

2) the tv linkage was bent and when i fixed it, it was still a bit out of adjustment.

Also, as mentioned, dirty governor, which i believe can be fixed while it's in the car, it's in the side of the rear of the case.

The DD isn't supposed to disengage until i believe about 11 mph, so sometimes i thought it wasn't going to, but it turns out i just wasn't quit stopped yet.

If i were you i would make sure the idle is set properly (i think 450ish rpm, 375 in gear. check the manual), make sure the tv is adjusted properly (pay attention to when it shifts into DD, what mph...if it's too soon or late that's an issue)

Then i'd drain the fluid and put new B&M trickshift original in. I'd drive it up to about 35 and then stop, letting it stall the engine if it had to. Then repeat about 3 or 4 times.

If it still didn't show signs of improvement, i'd look at cleaning the governor, or having it serviced by ross or someone who can pressure test it at the correct ports with gauges.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 19:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Also, while mine was doing it, i did drive it by popping it into neutral, then when stopped, putting it back in D and it would be fine. But if you did that and a light turned green while you're still moving, it's going to be a rude shift back into D. Also, not the safest way out there, and ruins the fun of driving a nice car.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Although there are many reasons listed in the service manual for the sticky direct drive, in my experience it is almost always a tiny bit of dirt in the governor.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 20:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Wow.. thanks for all the advice.

I will swap the fluid with B&M trickshift. Anyone know how many quarts this will take. I am assuming the TC will have to be drained also. Will I need a new filter? (Assuming it has one .. know where I can get one ?)

Thanks for the info about shifting into Low. I did that last night to get the car home. Didn't realize it was harder than flooring it in High. Shifting to Low is tricky since the infamous "R"ace setting is the next one down.

Now that gets things excited. Actually know someone in an old car who shifted all the way down to find Low but found Race instead. The guy behind him wasn't very happy.

Will let you know what happens. JIC anyone have any pics of the governor and instructions for a R+R? Not that I would mind paying Ross a visit.

Thanks again
OTG

Posted on: 2011/9/16 6:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've never found a good description for that procedure, in-car, for the original Ultramatic.

Howver, the governor is described beginning on page 17 of the Ultramatic Drive Serviceman's Training Book - with image of the assembly on page 18.

Have you downloaded the 1948-1954 Packard Parts List (parts book)? Plate No. 141 shows a basic explosion of the case. Governor cover is on the right rear, ahead of the rear extension (tailshaft) housing - held on by six screws. Details of the governor are shown in Plate 149. Application listing for the governor and details begin with Gr. 3.632 in the "Clutch & Transmission" section.

Once disassembled, cleaning the governor parts is covered in SC Vol. 24, No. 5, but SC Vol. 24, No. 10 cautions that wire brushes should NOT be used. Be sure to review other bulletins on the governor and compare to what's in your car.

Fluid capacity on the Ultra, including converter, is 12 quarts. It's been years since I had the pan off an Ultramtic, without draining the converter, but I'm guessing you'll need at least 4-5 quarts.

Perhaps others who have done this work can offer additional insight.

Posted on: 2011/9/16 9:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved