Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Blue Clouds of Smoke
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I went to a car show today in my 56 Patrician.I pulled off the highway and into the lot.I drove thru and saw that it was packed solid so I headed for the road.As I pulled out of the lot and accelerated, I left a big cloud of blue smoke.It was so bad, that I could not see behind me. I continued down the road and it continued to smoke for about the next 5 or 6 miles. It then cleared up and did not smoke at all for the rest of the way home.I pulled into the driveway and it was running clean. When I started it later, I got another big puff of Blue smoke and the it ran fine all the way back to the garage.Any ideas as to whats wrong?

Posted on: 2011/10/23 11:52
 Top  Print 

Re: Blue Clouds of Smoke
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am sure there could be other reasons but based on comments here, the rubber umbrella seals on valve stems have been known to petrify and fall completely off. If one did, the oil return hole in head could be clogged. A lot of oil to rockers and valves during acceleration and the normal engine tilt, if hole is clogged could have pooled & possibly have been high enough around guides to dribble in. That might be one place to check first.

Anything else commonly associated with smoke such as a broken ring or sucking brake fluid & I would think those would be causing other symptoms far more serious.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 12:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Howard, perhaps trivial but Gerard mentioned blue instead of black clouds of smoke.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.66 KB)
757_4ea45bdd917f8.jpg 319X467 px

Posted on: 2011/10/23 13:15
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Isn't blue smoke usually oil, black fuel, and white water or other fluid?

Posted on: 2011/10/23 13:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Yes, of course. I was absent-minded, sorry.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 13:30
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's happened to me and others, kind of a classic also with Cadillacs sharing the similar vacuum pump system. You're perhaps feeding oil from the crankcase into the intake via a failed check valve on the vacuum pump line. I just pulled the rubber line at the firewall and put a twig into it until I got home and cleaned the check valve.

PS - check valve is on the passenger side of the block, just above the oil pan/block interface, about midships.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 15:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
It's happened to me and others, kind of a classic also with Cadillacs sharing the similar vacuum pump system. You're perhaps feeding oil from the crankcase into the intake via a failed check valve on the vacuum pump line. I just pulled the rubber line at the firewall and put a twig into it until I got home and cleaned the check valve.

That's one I never would have thought of. Where is the valve physically or is it the balance valve on firewall you are referring to. Been so long since I had the original vacuum pump setup, didn't realize that was a possibility.

Never mind, you just answered the question on location. Brings up another though. If valve was dirty or failed, why would it stop smoking after a few miles.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 16:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If valve was dirty or failed, why would it stop smoking after a few miles.

Dunno, perhaps the surge of clean oil cleared whatever might have been obstructing the valve?

Posted on: 2011/10/23 17:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Well Owen hit the nail right on the head.It was the check valve.Valve has been repaired and the blue smoke has stopped.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 15:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

PS - check valve is on the passenger side of the block, just above the oil pan/block interface, about midships.

Thanks yet again Owen. While my '55 Patrician doesn't have any smoke issues (thank God) I'll definitely file that one away should the problem occur. I would have never dreamed there was a check valve. It makes sense, now that I think on it but I wouldn't have come up with it on my own.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 16:40
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved