Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

dash board color and texture
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My 51 200's dash was repainted by the previous owner, using a satin or maybe even flat silver paint. I'm looking for someone with an original dash for some photos or description of the dash color/texture. The car was originally light turquoise, but is now black. Also, what color should the front window trim be? It's black at present. thanks

Posted on: 2011/11/22 11:39
 Top  Print   

Re: dash board color and texture
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If someone does post a picture, you might compare to Grain-It'shttp://www.woodgraining.com/ pattern for goatskin and see if the same. They also have a 14 minute video showing what theirs looks like at about the 11:53 or so time frame. They say the dash shown is a 53 but mention early 50's Packard as the main use of that particular pattern.http://youtu.be/Nc_TTQjcKF0

That video also shows most all their other patterns and various year Packard dashes are used or mentioned as a reference on several of them. They even say one or two patterns they offer were used only on very early production Packards in that particular year. Seems they did their homework. With the very nice work Joe did on his 40 and all their helpful comments during his endeavors, maybe well within the possibilities on yours.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 12:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Interesting. I didn't realize that Packard used the graining on the 51-54 cars, especially on the 200. I have the Grain-It kit that I've used on my 39 120. If any of you guys have a photo of the dash with the goatskin texture on it, I'l sure like to see it. thanks

Posted on: 2011/11/22 19:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know it was used on 51 seniors and parts book mentions a blue gray or light gray grained. The one I had must have been the blue gray as it was fairly dark. You bring up a good point on some Clippers though as the 2401s list a separate number and don't specify graining or a color option. There is some overlap with the two on the other chassis though.

EDIT: The post entitled Poor ole girl has a link to a 52 with a picture of the dash. The same dash number is listed for 51's as well. A lot of dirt or haze of some type on it but it rather looks like it might be plain black.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 19:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Of my two '51 200 Deluxes, one has the silver-grey finish on the dash and window trim the other has the darker grey on all inside metal. Neither one are what I'd call "textured" and I'm positive both are original. But then, I've never felt a goat.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 21:54
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had a 51 300 with a gray dash except for the glove box which had a light cream basket-weave paint job. This car also had a chrome steering column.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 23:12
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jack Lindholme
See User information
I had a 52 200 series in 54, so I know it was unaltered, and it had a dark grey dash and glove box in a color I would refer to as pewter.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 0:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
In the parts catalog on page XVII there is a chart for interior paint reference. I would imagine any texturizing of the dash/window frames would have been done to the 400/Patrician to give it a slight distinction. It would help explain the several hundred dollar difference from it and a 300/Cavalier. Someone on here has a Derham sedan and his photos I believe has the textured dash and gage surround.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 8:06
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
There is a posting right now of a gentlemen from Germany who purchased a "53 Patrician". It has a picture of how the dash should look with the textured paint.I do not belive the 200 or Clipper models had this dash. I have seen a very low mileage 53 Clipper that still belongs to the original owner and it is a solid grey color.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 9:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks guys - that confirms my thoughts that the dash should be gray or pewter, with no texture. I drove a 52 300 when I was in high school, and I don't remember it having a textured dash. Course I don't remember most of what I studied in high school either.....But I sure wish I'd held on to the 300!

Posted on: 2011/11/23 9:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved