Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Getting folks involved with Packards?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
We have been discussing how to get new and younger members for our club. As with many car clubs, a significant part of the membership is composed of people who or wanted a Packard when they were young. Since the last Packards were made in the fifties, it follows that a significant percentage of members are old; most are getting older.

To me, that means we need to explore new ways to reach out to possible members.

Possibly we need to aim car shows at recruiting (possibly with AACA?) and we need to reach out to visitors so we don't look so cliquish. Walk by us in such a setting and ask how many are showing body language that says "Don't bother me...."

We need to be on facebook and (heaven help me) twitter....

We need to be engaging students by working on programs with schools, perhaps with history folks or auto shops (if they still exist)

WHAT ARE YOU OR YOUR CLUB DOING THAT WORKS?

TWO REQUESTS HERE: CAN WE KEEP THIS ON-TOPIC AND CAN WE REFRAIN FROM GOING OVERBOARD ABOUT THE NEGATIVES?

IMHO we ought to develop ideas by thinking positive; don't shoot them down, let them grow and lets see what we can put together.....

Posted on: 2012/2/12 18:40
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Getting folks involved with Packards?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It's not a question of GENERATING interest. I don;t think it is possible to generate interest whether Packard, Chevy, F or ANY other brand nor ANY collectible for that matter.

One either has a propensity toward a collectible or one does not have such a propensity. THe more obscure the collectible then the less likely some Joe Average type will take any interest other than curisoity spectator status.

THose of us that have no Packard 'memmories' or very little of it, do not own Packards because of something we don;t have. We own them because we CAN and perhaps because we have enuf personal judgement ability to recognize a desireable item when we see it. THere will ALWAYS be such individuals who can recognize a desireable collectible and willing to break from the main stream of model A Fords and 55-57 Chevies.

Posted on: 2012/2/12 19:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
This is a very interesting topic to say the least. I'm in the younger (I'm 27) crowd and other than my own 52 i have no first hand Packard memories and to be honest when I bought mine I wasn't even looking for a Packard but a deal came up and I couldn't pass it by. Sense then I have grown to dearly love them as well as other orphan cars such as Hudson I just got tired of cookie cutter 55-57 Chevy's and all like that. If you want more people interested in our particular niche you need to get out there with your cars. I'm well aware that some Packard autos are almost literally worth their weight in gold but a late 40's to mid 50's Packard not so much. Go to local cruise nights and car shows and dare I say even the street rod nationals if need be. The older gents at car shows (in reference to the cookie cutter 55 Chevy crowd)are usually very busy power parking at shows and reliving some fantasy of American Graffiti/ Happy Days to give a young guy the time of day at most shows, be the one who is different let a teenager sit in it at a show answer questions inform and educate start it up for people so they can see how smooth it runs all the while telling them what makes them so special. Honestly any Packard will never be as popular as the more common cars the numbers just are not there but you have to make a change one person at a time. My high school luckily had an auto shop and I know my shop teacher would have had no problem bringing out a club to show off what can be done in the auto profession, and you never know some of those kids are very gifted and might even offer to help with your project. In summary no one will gain interest if your car is sitting gathering dust in the garage you have to get out and enjoy these cars as they were meant to be.

Posted on: 2012/2/12 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Bravo!! Packard1984, BRAVO!!

Posted on: 2012/2/12 21:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I go to a lot of cruises - normally about five a week.
I usually go with friends like Mike, Al K and his brother Joe.
We try to attend those who have good food.
And we also try to answer any questions and demonstrate various features on the car. I enjoy demonstrating the TL system and it impresses most people. They weren't aware that cars of that era were so advanced. We have a lot of fun, eat good food and make new friends as we go.

Posted on: 2012/2/13 0:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
When I went to Hot August Nights in 1999, I was on a cruise between Sparks and Reno when a young lady ran up to my 55 Pat and exclaimed, "That's the most beautiful car I have ever seen!" I was stupefied, so I had no answer. I wish I was better prepared to respond to the younger generation. Maybe some woman from Reno would now own a Packard.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/2/13 0:40
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
What about schools?

Posted on: 2012/2/13 0:46
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Let interested parties have a ride or better yet, let them drive one. That is Packard's strongest calling card. I regularly let folks drive mine and lend them out to friends for "date night" and such.

If your Packard is not a pleasure to drive, figure out why and fix it.

Posted on: 2012/2/13 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
I invite neighbours for a ride and let my youngest son (16) bring along friends for a ride. Some even ask to help with repairs!

Tom

Posted on: 2012/2/13 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I like Ross's advice. But what is really needed is something more like what Donald Taconni of B'ham Alabama used to do (or still does) is to have a Work Meeting. Where owners can get together and work on their cars. Or better yet, a private road course (race track comes to mind) for test driving cars. NO NOT FOR RACING i said for test driving. Get it more technical. That way the many owners that have "resto in process" (for years and even decades) mite get interested in speeding up the process.

IT would be good for Packard dealer sales too. And who knows, maybe a few of those dealers mite even learn something about a car too OR about their CUSTOMER!!! GUFWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA .

Posted on: 2012/2/13 14:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved