Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New owner questions
Just popping in
Just popping in

Dave
See User information
Hi everyone,
I just purchased a 53 Packard last week, I have ordered a service manual and am waiting for it to arrive. I have a few questions if anyone can answer them:
1- My door plate calls it a Model: 2672, Mine has the lightning bolt on the front panels with a spot light on the drivers side. Were those just options? Is a model 2672 a:
See picture 100_8430
Cavalier
? 4 Door Sedan

Clipper
? 4 Door Sedan

Clipper Deluxe
? 4 Door Sedan

Patrician
? 4 Door Sedan

2-I have a push switch under my dash that appears to be factory installed (see picture with a arrow pointing to it Picture 100_8496 ). Nothing happens when I push it. Does anyone know what this does?

3- What is the proper way to start the car? When I turn the key on and then press on the gas pedal, the car will turn over. Is that how you are supposed to start it? This does not always work (engage the starter)so it appears the previous owner put in a aftermarket (I think) switch also under the dash that I can use to start it as well. Do all Packards have this switch under the hood?

I will continue to research this awesome website, thanks to everyone for all your help,

Dave in Utah

Attach file:

jpg  (39.90 KB)
637_47f98416f2ba4.jpg 601X800 px

jpg  (55.34 KB)
637_47f984e88009a.jpg 800X601 px

Posted on: 2008/4/6 21:23
 Top  Print   

Re: New owner questions
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave,

Welcome to the website. If you could please add your car to the Owner Registry we would appreciate it.

You have a 1953, 2672 - Packard Cavalier Touring Sedan.

If you refer to the Model Info pages, you can find out some details about your car there. Also the Service Manuals, Part List, Service Techinical Bullentins and Service Counselors are all online here for free.

Not sure what that underdash switch is for. Doesnt look factory to me. I would trace the wiring and see where it goes.

The '53 is a pedal start. The switch is actually mounted on the Carb and the pedal linkage activates it. So the swtich may need to be cleaned or replaced, also check the wiring there are the connections be just be corroded.

1954 is the first year for a modern "Key Start" ignition on a Packard. '53 and prior used the pedal start.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 21:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The underdash switch looks like the trip odometer reset. Next time you push it up, try turning it at same time and watch your trip odometer. Welcome to the site - glad to have you aboard. Please register your great looking Cavalier in the owner's registry.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 21:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The official Packard recommendation for starting is to slowly press the accelerator down until the starter engages. They caution to not press all the way to floor as all way down opens the choke. The time that is necessary is when the engine fails to start and gets flooded, then opening the choke helps clear things. The extra starter switch is not original but was frequently added just for that reason. The 52 owners manual on the site will be almost identical to the 53. If your starter doesn't engage before pedal bottoms, switch and/or linkage needs adjusting.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 22:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Dave,

Nice looking Packard and welcome to a great Packard site. There's plenty of friendly and experienced Packard people here who are willing to share their expertise and help if they can.

Again,

Posted on: 2008/4/7 5:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
The gas pedal start is always a conversation piece at car shows. I offered a kid $20 if he could take my keys and start my car. Needless to say I still have the $20. I had a 51 Patrician that is similar to your 53. I always regretted getting rid of that car.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 12:13
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

TIMOTHY
See User information
hi, that LIL' switch under yer dash, is the "LOAD LEVIL" on - off switch..on my 55' if the switch is to the LEFT, it is off, if the switch is to the RIGHT, the system is on...

Posted on: 2008/6/13 15:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The knurled round knob under the dash is the trip odometer reset. Push it up and rotate, one directions rolls back in 1/10s, the other direction after enough turns will roll back in 100s.

The suggestion that it was to activate the Torsion Level ride is not relevant to a 1953 car.

Posted on: 2008/6/13 17:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
UtahPackard53:

Welcome to the forum. From the pictures you have posted of your Cavlaier it certainly is a fine looking car. Iam also the owner of a 53 Cavalier. Please as othr people have stated please register your car.

The knob under your dash as has been pointed out is the reset for the trip odometer. My Cavalier is also equiped with the trip odometer, the rest knob is in the same location.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/6/13 19:21
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen: Thanks for the explanation of the complete operation of the reset knob.I had often wonder why the knob rotated in both direction.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/6/13 19:31
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved