Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 64

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Problem Starting 1951
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brian
See User information
Hello. I just purchased a 1951 packard 200, when I picked it up it started fine. I drove it home, parked for the night, now it wont start. At first it would fire then quit now it wont even fire. At first I thought I flooded the engine so I let it set overnight. I tried today and it won't ever fire. I took the air cover off and checked the carb, there was the smell of gas but not a lot. The car was also running a little hot (not boiling over) when I brought it home. The guy I bought it from is away on a business trip for a week so I can't ask him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted on: 2008/4/6 13:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Problem Starting 1951
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Brian wrote:
Hello. I just purchased a 1951 packard 200.....

to the site Brian, plenty of experienced and knowledgeable Packard people here who are willing to help. Unfortunately my mechanical expertise is very limited so I can't offer a suggestion to help but I'm sure there are others who will. Could you please add your '51 to the Owner Registry, including a pic, and known history, if you haven't already done so?

Posted on: 2008/4/6 14:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Especially if the has not seen regular use recently, the first two things I'd do is check fuel filter for sediment, and then remove the fuel line at the carb and crank the engine to see if you have gas supply. If that's OK, clean up any gas which might have spilled and pull the coil wire at the cap, hold 1/4 inch from ground and again crank the engine and check for spark. Its almost certain to be one or the other. Let us know your findings.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 14:36
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

209packergirl
See User information
Had a similar problem with my 1951 300. When I got it finally started, it would not shut off.( found out it had been hotwired) I found that Doc runs better after the sun hits the block and warms it up a bit.The debris is the fuel line can be especially a big problem if it has been sitting for a while.The 6V battery really needs a full charge too. If you have been cranking for a while, may be the problem.I assure you, the car is worth it! Keep on doin' and keep in touch with all of us!

Posted on: 2008/4/6 15:31
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brian
See User information
Hi. Checked the filter (the wire mesh on top of the carb ?) looked okay. Disconnected fuel line and all I got was a little squirt then nothing. The car has been sitting for a long time.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 15:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There is a mesh filter screen inside the fuel pump, ifthere is any debris inside the tank, that may have gotten sucked up by the pickup, and now is clogging that mesh filter in the pump. Only way to clean it is to take that bottom part of the pump apart and clean out the screen.

The drive home may have stirred up any debris sitting in the bottom of the tank, and now that is in the lines/mesh filter.

You may want to drain the fuel tank with via the drain plug on the bottom of the tank to try to flush out any debris in the tank. Also I have always thought a inline fuel filter near the tank would help to prevent any crap from clogging that fuel pump mesh filer. It's easier to change/clean out a filter near the tank, then it is to have to keep taking the fuel pump apart.

Also check the cermaic filter (inside the glass bowl) right before the carburetor. (There should be a filter there).

Attach file:

jpg  (47.23 KB)
1_47f93f98dde5f.jpg 853X431 px

Posted on: 2008/4/6 16:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brian
See User information
Hi. There is no filter between pump and carb just the fuel line, I took off the cap on the bottom of the fuel pump and there was some grit and rust in it. I didn't notice a screen on the pump, could you explain exactly where it is. Thanks

Posted on: 2008/4/6 16:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Should be under that cover you removed mounted to the pump body. Check out Kevs article on rebuilding pump in tech tips for more detail but here's snap showing the screen.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.21 KB)
209_47f945e1b76f0.jpg 367X571 px

Posted on: 2008/4/6 16:51
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You really need to have a filter somewhere in the fuel system, to prevent any crap from getting in to the carb. It is far easier to clean/replace a filter then to have to rebuild the entire carb to get out a piece of debris that may be clogging something.

Also if the find that everything is cleaned out and you still not getting good fuel flow, then the fuel pump may need to be rebuilt as the old diaphrams in the pump can break or leak. A new rebuild kit will have new diagrams and rubber parts that are compatiable with todays fuels.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 16:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved