Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 163

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Air Cleaner Identification
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
On my '48 Super Eight, the air cleaner does not appear to be an oil bath style, but has an element that looks cleanable. If this is so, does anyone know what is the correct decal that would go on the lid?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

My blog is listed below, in the signature.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.79 KB)
4371_4f6fcc63864d6.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (51.57 KB)
4371_4f6fcc709babf.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (38.54 KB)
4371_4f6fcc82934d0.jpg 800X598 px

Posted on: 2012/3/25 20:55
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print 

Re: Air Cleaner Identification
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I don't know from personal knowledge but the Packard Club lists this decal as being correct for 1937-1950 dry air cleaners.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.94 KB)
188_4f6fd7c9acdf1.jpg 302X380 px

Posted on: 2012/3/25 21:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Got it, JD. Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/3/25 21:37
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
On my '54 Clipper the air filter is very simular but not as tall. I took out the screen filter and put in a regular filter.

What I used is from a Pontiac Fiero. It's too tall but I cut it down to about half so it fits.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 8:09
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I did almost the same as BlackBeerd did, except instead of cutting the filter down (I just went and got a cheapie 9" Mr.Gasket one) I used to chrome lid that came with it because since it's flat instead of domed it fit. I have an extra assembly that I plan to weld a longer piece of all-thread to so I can just use a standard 9" element everytime I replace it, and look more like OE than a cheesy Mr.Gasket lid.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 23:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You should be able to find a modern air filter replacement element the same size as your original at any auto supply store. Simply, take your old element with your, or its dimensions, and match up to one from their stock.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/3/28 10:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's what I'm sure is the minority view. One of the things that attracts many of us to older cars is the engineering of the era. Thus I'm always a bit surprised when I see the desire to trash these features for some device just like every modern car on the road has. You can make an arguement for some changes for the sake of safety, but an air filter? A period filter, properly maintained, isn't going to make a significant difference in engine life so why do we do it - because we don't want to learn and practice the maintenance practices of the day?

Posted on: 2012/3/28 12:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Good point, Owen. I'm going to clean and reuse my original filter. It is period correct, and cheaper to boot.

I also bought the decals for the filter housing and the breather. They sell vinyl stickers too, but decals were what were originally used.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 14:32
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
You should be able to find a modern air filter replacement element the same size as your original at any auto supply store. Simply, take your old element with your, or its dimensions, and match up to one from their stock.

(o[]o)

That's how I ended up with the Fiero filter. You can get all the sizes for every element made on the Fram website.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 15:56
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
It is true that air cleaner filters are not a standard size and that if you look at measurements in catalogs, you might be able to find one that fits. However, at least with the mesh filter on my 53 Clipper, I could not find a standard filter low enough in height to fit the filter without the domed top hitting the hood. Just keep in mind, especially if you have a domed top on your mesh filter, increasing the height of your filter above the height of the mesh element on your filter may keep you from closing that hood. Of course, if you replace the stock domed top with a non-stock flat one, that will give you a bit more room.
Ken

Posted on: 2012/3/28 17:33
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved