Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Transmission Rattle?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys,
Last night was the first time I tried to spin the rear wheels. Reverse, first, and third work just fine. But in second, the transmission sounds like it is rattling. Does anyone know why this is happening? And do you think it could be a problem out on the road?

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/4/2 11:14
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission Rattle?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Could it be a linkage problem not fully engaging 2nd?

Posted on: 2012/4/2 14:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
That is a possibility, but the rear drums seemed to spin just fine. The sound I was hearing was that of an unbalanced/ wobbling/ knocking noise, almost as if something is loose. But I guess there is the chance that it is not engaged all the way. I will have to give it another try sometime, and try to make sure I get it pushed into second as best I can. Hope there is not something terribly wrong with it, and that was the reason they stopped driving it back in 1971?

Posted on: 2012/4/2 15:51
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
how about the exhaust pipe to transmission mount ? if its apart thatll knock like crazy if your engine is vibrating

Posted on: 2012/4/15 19:55
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also the is an exhaust "saddle" mount right behind the muffler (mid body). If the rubber is gone or worn out, then muffler/exhaust pipe will bounce up and down on the metal brace that runs under the pipe.

Posted on: 2012/4/15 20:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Interesting, I'll have to give that a look over. But, why would that happen only in 2nd?

Posted on: 2012/4/16 17:23
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
GearRat52,

A drive train will make strange sounds when run with the rear wheels jacked up. This unloaded condition allows all the play in the transmission, u-joints, and differential to behave differently than when loaded and driving the car on the road. I would not be too concerned, unless you hear something really unusual.

Did you get to the Austin event this past weekend? If so, how was it? Any photos?

I live in NW Austin.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/4/17 11:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Made it to the event, but without the Packard. The one thing that truly kept me from taking it was the push rod on the booster. MPB finally sent me the correct one, the day we were heading up. But either way I really enjoyed the show. There were a lot of cars that showed, which made for some tired legs. And, there were two Packards in attendance, HotRod's '51 400, and a '53 Clipper.

One thing we failed to bring with us was our digital camera. I was able to get some video of Congress, and the open house at, Austin Speed Shop. I will try to get those uploaded sometime soon.

Did you partake in any of the weekends events?

Posted on: 2012/4/17 14:47
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
GearRat52,

I went up to Salado with a friend to the Buick show there. Disappointing as there were only 18 cars. There was a 1939 90 Limited 7-passenger formal sedan, unrestored, and just as nice as it could be. It must have been stored in a bubble for 60 years. I saw a few interesting cars driving around Austin. The guy I went to Salado with has the 1954 "Cavalier 300" that was at the Packard Meet two weeks earlier. It has a paint job like yours.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/4/18 10:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i didn't know they had a buick show there...was it at the stagecoach as well?

Posted on: 2012/4/18 11:30
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved