Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 98

bertus cardinaal, westernshrouds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 Volt battery cables
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I would like to know the official / original routing of the original 6 volt battery cables.

My 54 Cavalier is positive ground.

I believe the ground cable was actually flat heavy copper braided cable and probably dropped down and bolted to the frame although I don't see any obvious holes.

I would expect an equally heavy strap to tie the engine block to the frame somewhere.

The negative probably went fairly direct to the starter solenoid switch.

This said, Back when I first bought the car last year I made some new battery cables (heavy gauge flexible wire from an old RCA Television transmitter) replacing the 12 volt #1 gauge battery cables that were in there.

I will say the new heavier gauge wire cranks the starter a whole lot faster than the previous #1 cable. Having less voltage drop through the cables means more voltage for ignition.

I have now acquired heavy gauge flat cable and I'm ready to take the step.

Original battery clamps were a slightly different size, anybody know where I can get originals made of brass or copper?

Thanks,

Jim

Posted on: 2012/4/17 19:35
 Top  Print 

Re: 6 Volt battery cables
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This picture would seem to have the flat ground cable going to a bolt above the generator and behind water pump. There are also pictures showing some models going to one of the generator bracket to engine block bolts under generator. Don't believe any went to the frame.

As to a separate ground strap between engine and frame, that has had some discussion lately. Several do not have any evidence of one ever being on their 51-4 cars. It seems in many cases Packard relied on metal to metal contact via brackets & linkages etc to make the connection. It has been mentioned some but apparently not all pre 55 senior cars had a strap in the transmission area between frame and transmission body. It certainly wouldn't hurt to add a decent sized ground strap between engine and frame. On all, there is a fairly small insulated wire connection between generator case to L fender and continuing on to firewall. I think 55 is the first year all can agree there was any kind of separate strap from the factory used on all models.

As to the clamp, unknown where to specifically find one known to be brass or copper. The wiring companies sell a flat terminal for the braided cable such as this one from RhodeIsland Wiring.http://www.riwire.com/ Not sure of the construction.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.61 KB)
209_4f8e151b86414.jpg 621X435 px

jpg  (23.57 KB)
209_4f8e152487900.jpg 442X381 px

Posted on: 2012/4/17 20:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved