Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clock conversion to quartz
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Thanks to every one for all your help restoring/rebuilding our 110.
New coil works fine.
Now suggestions for converting the clock to quartz?
Reliable shop? Do it myself any source for a kit/parts?
thanks
John

Posted on: 2012/6/9 10:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Clock conversion to quartz
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My 56 Borg unit was converted many years ago and gave out last year. I went the DIY this time and found they had made some changes to get the kit to fit the first time. My DIY came from Instrument Services, and while I won't swear to it, believe they are the company that did the original conversion.

Due to the age of clock, problems you may have DIY is voltage and gear shaft size and routing. Not sure how many DIY 6v units are around for starters. The DIY kit was 12-24v but no mention of 6v available. I think most converters say before a certain year they need the unit. Most likely they know that modifications and tiny parts are needed the average guy wouldn't be aware of or have.

First change I found was the time set adjustment. They had made a plate to carry gears from the old knob to the hands because that was part of original mechanism. Second was they had to drill some holes in the support plate behind the dial face to hold the new mechanism. Third was the second hand if you have one. The shaft size on new mechanism is small compared to old so they had installed a tiny bushing between the hand and the new mechanism. Hand was both press fit and glue on outside diameter of bushing and mechanism press fit on the inner. Fourth was a new terminal plate to the inside clock back to connect power -- both pos and neg since the new mechanism uses wire leads from terminals to tiny solder pads.

Since I already had those changes, except for the first unit being defective, the DIY was fairly easy otherwise. Instrument Services was very nice and prompt in replacing the unit (according to the lady in service, there was a piece of plastic flashing binding something that was supposed to move freely).

Being curious, What did you wind up doing on the coil -- spend the $400 or use modern?

Posted on: 2012/6/9 10:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I have Borg clock in my 47 not sure if the same. I found the contacts to be dirty-I cleaned them with contact cleaner and the clock works great.

Posted on: 2012/6/9 19:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
where do you find contact cleaner

Posted on: 2012/6/10 9:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Napa carries the Permatex brand but it may be in bulk. They also carry point or ignition files should the contacts be pitted and need dressing.

Radio Shack is another that has a cleaner if Napa only sells by the case. Most good electrical or electronic component supply stores should also carry it.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.40 KB)
209_4fd4bcfe68670.jpg 500X588 px

Posted on: 2012/6/10 10:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
If you do a search on how to fix a borg clock or something like that-there is an article that sort of leads you thru how to fix the thing. Not much can go wrong with them-you will need some light oil like 3 in 1 to lub the gears etc. It took a few times with the contact cleaner before it would continue to run.

Posted on: 2012/6/10 16:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
I have to admit that the $400 + jolted my memory, that in the past i have purchased two complete 110 drivetrains. Started looking in old storage boxes and found an original coil. Also found a generator, carburetor and air cleaner among other things. Still have a complete overdrive rearend in the back yard
Cleaned all the contacts and housing, installed the coil and now the car that starts in a 5-8 turns maxim when hot and 1-2 turns when cold.
Also added an insulating gasket between the carb. and the intake manifold.
Kept your instructions for a replacement, just in case.
Thank you for your advice on the coil.
Clock will shortly be on the way for the quartz conversion.
Thank You
John Miller

Posted on: 2012/6/10 21:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
-you will need some light oil like 3 in 1 to lub the gears etc.

3 and 1 oil is a not a good lubricant and way too thick for a clock. 3&1 oil, if still the same as it was in the 60's,is parafin based and drys out and solidifies. Not a good thing for a clock. I remember when I was a kid we had a cylinder record player that needed oiling. I oiled the heack out of it with 3&1 and it did run for a wile. After several weeks the oil turned to this thick wax and the thing stopped working again. Buy some clock oil from a clock maker or repair shop. Also a good thing to keep in mind when oiling a clock is more is not better. Use very small amounts of oil.

Posted on: 2012/6/11 13:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved