Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 82

29tons, Marvin, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Trading Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I have the chance at possibly picking up a '50 Packard Super 8 2 dr. The price is reasonable, and the car needs a total resto. There isn't a lot of rust, but has some body rubs and dents. The engine turns over by hand, and the owner claims that is has run.

My only dilemma is I don't really need 2 Packards. He might trade me for my '55 400. My Packard doesn't run either, but my Packard is in a lot better shape.

I like the lines of the 2 door '48-50 body style. And the engines/trannys seem to be a lot cheaper to get/keep running then the 352 V8/Twin ultramatic cars.

I get the distinct feeling that I would be trading down.

Do I purchase the '50 and sell the '55, or do a straight trade, or ???

What do my packardinfo comrades think?

Posted on: 2012/7/8 18:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Trading Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would think it would depend mostly on your likes regarding styling and features. You are trading a senior Packard for a mid range model so in that respect, it's trading down -- and you will be giving up features such as power assists and the suspension if that is important to you.

On the upside, you're right in that there isn't much to go wrong -- nothing power and basic simple -- but some of the items on the 50 are not that common any more either (some trim, mechanical, and 6v components) so can be expensive as well if you need any to get things going.

As to condition, I expect the cost of restoration and most of the basic parts for either would be comparable so if you are starting from a worse condition, then need to keep that in mind.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 18:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Don't do it....

Posted on: 2012/7/8 18:47
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
The Packard in question:

Attach file:

jpg  (187.85 KB)
633_4ffa269648546.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (156.48 KB)
633_4ffa26a321660.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/7/8 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I would much rather have the 55 but it is all personal preference. Best to sell your 55 for cash and buy the other for cash than trade. I think you would be at the losing end of a trade IMO.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 19:43
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If, by referring to that car as a Super Eight, you are under the impression it's a model 2385 on the 127 inch wheelbase with a 327 engine, I think that's not correct.

I believe you are looking at a Standard or Deluxe Club Sedan on the 120 inch wheelbase with a 288.

As much as I like the 22nd/23rd series, I don't think I'd trade a 400 for that particular car even if your 400 was in similar condition.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
The 48-50 Packards did come as Super 8 models with 120 inch wheel base. The wrap around grille trim extended from the parking lamp bezel to near the front fender wheel opening and were separate short pieces. On the standard and deluxe models the parking light bezel was one piece and ended just where the fender starts to wrap around. You have a tough decision to make. Best of luck with either car. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/7/8 21:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Only the 22nd series Super Eights were on the 120 inch wheelbase. The 23rd series Super Eight was on the 127 inch wheelbase which is the series he is considering trading for. It also had a unique grill (which is not the one in the photo).

Edit: Also, the 23rd Series Super 8 had the same size parking lights as the Super Deluxe 8 and the Custom.

Click to see original Image in a new window

23rd Series Super Eight front end for comparison.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
IMHO, the V-8s are the coolest of the post-war Packards. As a person who acquired two Packards rather quickly, if you have a place to park the second, it isn't that much of a problem unless your better half has limited you to a single fun vehicle.

Having a driver while you spend time and effort really making the other one nice is a luxury that is well worth it if you can afford it and have a supportive spouse as I do.

If you are in a position to pick up the '50 in addition to your '55 400, go for it.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 21:43
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
JD, My mistake. Thanks for the correction. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/7/8 21:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved