Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Can't remove Hyd. Lifter from 1947 Custom Super Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Haven't tried a little heat yet? The puller is a great deal, but I have seen those tappets crack from too much manhandling. Once I had to pull the cam out a of restored 19th series car because a tappet cracked after the motor was finished. Fortunately the place had an overhead gantry so I pulled the entire powerpack up towards the ceiling. You don't have to get it hot enough to glow, just hot enough for things to move a little.

Also, as regards setting the lifter preload I always used a dial caliper. That is my choice for accuracy, especially on the V-12 which is such a dillie to pull back apart.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 18:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Yes, I did try heat and Freeze-It with no help. So for now I'm putting it back together and pulling the engine later this Summer. This is my spare engine and not the original engine, so I'll be putting the original back in.

Thanks to all for your help.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 10:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Well moving a little slower than I had planned. Got the engine back together and running, still can hear a tapping coming from the #1 cylinder, but at least I can get it out of the driveway. I hoping to get the original engine back in by next Summer. At least I have good oil pressure, she doesn't overheat and she charges up, just a little hard to start sometimes (see Youtube Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aotfkP8XVbM ).
Wes

Posted on: 2012/10/18 13:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Wes, your video was upsetting. The car is hard to start and very noisy when running. It should start easily and be almost silent when running. I think you have a lot of work ahead. On the other hand, it is a nice looking Custom. Good luck.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/10/18 22:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A great idea when dealing with sounds - making a video so we can hear it.

Agree with JW, I'm guessing the squeaking sound while trying to start was you pumping the gas pedal? If so, it's too lean to start - at the least check the automatic choke.

As to the engine sounds, I'd say that's a whole lot more noise than a tapping lifter.

Posted on: 2012/10/18 22:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Yes, I would agree, but as I said that engine is coming out in the future and this is a work in progress project.
Here's one more video of just the engine running and I have tighten the Fan Belt since this video was recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz9FDfK80hQ

Posted on: 2012/10/19 6:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
To me, it sounds like your motor is not turning over fast enough. I would also be leary cranking for such long periods of time as that can damage the starter. Does the car start faster if you spray some gas down the carb?

Posted on: 2012/10/19 12:33
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To me, it sounds like your motor is not turning over fast enough. I would also be leary cranking for such long periods of time as that can damage the starter

I agree with that and wonder if the battery cables are adequately sized, with clean connections. I think we can be pretty sure it's quite starved for gas on startup. But it's the engine noise that bothers me most.

Just an aside, on the 356 engines there is a nearly hidden oil cup on the starter between the armature end and the output pinion (where the gear reduction set is) - I'd be willing to bet that on many cars it hasn't seen oil since the day the car left the last dealer service - not many folks follow the lube charts and you'd almost have to know it's there to see it.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 12:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
It was painful to hear that engine turn over so long without a break. I never turned the engine over on the starter for more than 15 seconds without allowing the starter to cool for a minute at least. It sure seems to be starving for gas. Priming it with a shot of gas down the carb before attempting to start it would be a good idea until you get the engine sorted out. As suggested by O-D the choke may need adjusting. The 356 is a magnificent engine when operating properly.Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Well I'm just glad it starts. Still sorting out the carb. Normally it fires right up, but as I said that engine is coming out.
Now for my question, the starter is suppose to turn faster than that? I didn't think it would turn very fast since it has a gear reduction built in it.
Yes heavy duty cables (not sure but I'm thinking O size) and all connections are clean.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 9:46
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved