Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: How original is the right original---and why?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
To each his/her own. Seat belts and radials. That's it for me. I may skip the radials with the '49... we'll see. I do avoid the freeways when in the Packard. Since I only use the Packard for exhibition purposes, I can live without the air conditioning. I just open all the windows and point the wind wings at my chest just like I did back in the day. Evaporation still works.

Posted on: 2012/7/22 22:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I did seat belts, radials and a dual chamber brake MC on my 38. I MIGHT try installing tube shocks and larger sway bars this winter. The wife and I do a bit of non-highway cruising.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 6:10
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote from post #1:
"How do you decide where to draw the line?"

I ATTEMPT to draw the line at butchering of any OEM parts. But not 100%. The problem with most owners that make modifications is that they make snap decisions. IT is best to Try to make mods that are bolt-on mods rather than alot of cut and weld of the oem platform.

IT is best to avoid aftermarket 'custom', "hot rod", "performance", "specialaty" or what ever u want to call it equipment. Best to use current production parts/equipment meaning such items from other PRODUCTION vehicles. Such parts are readily available.

There is no point to replacing difficult to find oem parts with 'custom' parts that will be difficult to find 5 or 10 years from now. Case in point: e-ignition. If one feels compelled to convert to e-ignition then use some CURRENT production e-ignition from a commonly available production car such as Ford or Chev or toytota etc. NOT some special flame throwing wonder from some hot rod or speed/performance parts aftermarket supplier. Where will u get parts for a specialty flame throwing wonder in 5 to 10 years from now and at what cost????

Mostly it is not a question of 'where to draw the line' but rather a question of HOW to draw the line. HOW to draw the line is usualy the result of experience acquired at ones own hand and ones own eye. NOT from a magazine.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 6:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved