Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Twelve "blue dot" tail lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
On the face of it, this'd seem to be suited for the prewar forum, but since the blue dot craze beloved by custom car/lead sledders of the late '40s, '50s might have postwar devotees here:

Would and could anyone post or direct us to a BIG, CLEAR, CLOSE UP high-definition picture of the Packard Twelve's factory blue dots?

Are we correct, that "blue dots" were another Packard first?

All i've found after the usual Googling is this from the Rod Journal's Forum:

"Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod:

Lynx-Eye Blue-dot taillamp lenses were NEVER used as factory equipment on any production vehicle.

Wrong. 32-34 Packard V-12 models, Cadillac V-12 and V-16s from 32-35. There were others, mostly high-end cars with premium features appart from the rest of their car lines. It's easy enough to find as it's a matter of automotive history, not an opinion. Original Packard 12 blue center lenses are a bit pricey and visibly different than the garden variety blue dot."

So, sportsfans, is the above correct? If not, would love to know what years the Twelve came so equipped;

was this the only model Packard to have them;

and were Packard's "blue dots" prismed or smooth?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 16:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Twelve "blue dot" tail lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe that information is correct. This was discussed once before here on PackardInfo some years back. I believe 1934 was the last year for the "blue dot", and it was used on the Twelve only 33 - 34 and the Twin Six in 1932. It was not prismatic but might have had a slight curvature to it, I'll look for some pictures.

UPDATE: Well, after blowing up this photo, it appears that it was hexagonal in shape but this is contrary to my memory of it being rather plain and round. This lens is on an 1106 LeBaron roadster so it may not be typical of production cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.68 KB)
177_500f48015bd4d.jpg 1280X1082 px

Posted on: 2012/7/24 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thank you, sir. Very grainy, indistinct on my PC, but i'll look at it on my wench's or a friend's Macs, see if that helps.

So, you recall Packard's "blue dot" as being smooth and rounded, not a rounded prism, correctimo?

This is bizarre. Haven't been able to Google up a lone detailed close up of the 1932-34 Packard blue dot.

Not one.

Know a couple fellows with 1937-39 Twelves, but that won't help.

Caramba.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 3:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are at least a half-dozen 34 Packard Twelves within 40 miles of me, I should be able to get you either a photo or a verbal description reasonably soon. I'll make a call this afternoon.

PS - just sent off a couple of email to several 34 Twelve owners asking it they can take a photo for me. Will follow up.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 8:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No photos yet, but take a look at the inside back cover of the current Antique Automobile (July/August issue). While not a close-up and I hope to get you one or more, you can quite clearly see the round "blue dot", surrounded by a thin chromium ring, at the center of the red lens. I can't seem to find where AACA gives the photo credits but the car appears to be Bob Bahre's "Car of the Dome" Dietrich sport sedan.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Dave's hexagon photo does not look right, to me. Here is the one on the Car of the Dome. Photo credit for the cover photos is on the contents page. My brother-in-law and I shot the car.
It's tough to see, but the blue dot appears to be faceted.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.11 KB)
404_50104014c9d62.jpg 190X175 px

jpg  (113.42 KB)
404_501049535eb77.jpg 720X745 px

Posted on: 2012/7/25 13:51
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks West, that's good photo and should answer the posters question nicely. The one that appeared to be a hexagon was from a very large blow up of an old silver halide print taken of the rear of the Sternberg 34 LeBaron roadster and was probably optically or digitally distorted to look like a hexagaon, it was all that I had to look at; curious though that the chromium ring didn't show. As I said when I posted it, it didn't resemble the lens as I remembered, and your good photo is exactly as I recall the lens.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 14:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thank you, OD, and thank you, West. Thank you, gentlemen.
Now, what i've found thus far, is the below, via www.taillightking.com

I'm wondering whether (see below, and i hope it's clear enough, otherwise, click on the website above if the catalogue photos don't show up)

SSBD10 "glass, blue, smooth"

or

SSBD24 "glass, blue, prism"

more closely approximates the Packard Twelve above.

I don't think it's the pictured thick-bezeled "Their." Or is it?

I'd like to get this right, or close as possible, short of butchering a 1932-34 Twelve tail light lense, which i wouldn't do in a thousand years!

Meanwhile, of all the supercars at the Chicago World's Fair, the Packard Twelve Car of the Dome was the most popular, drew the biggest crowds, which says volumes since it was up against the black Cadillac V-16 aero coupe,
Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow, and Duesenberg Twenty Grand.

Many thanks for any exacting insight:

Glass Dots of all colors

Note: Click on a thumbnail picture to see a larger view!! 06/20/2012 09:24 PM

I have 2 qualities of glass dots. The 8 tab ones are US made with glass dots and the bezel is stainless steel. The 4 tab ones are made in China with glass dots and the bezel is chrome plated steel.

Made in China Prism Glass Dots
Part # Year Description Picture Price
A5010 All Glass Prism Blue Dot and Chrome Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1 1/16", Hole size required is 15/16", Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 pr.
A5010-5 All Glass Prism Red Dot and Chrome Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1 1/16", Hole size required is 15/16"Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 pr.
A5010Y All Glass Prism Yellow/Amber Dot and Chrome Ring - Nice - Outside dia. of bezel is 1 1/16", Hole size required is 15/16"Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 pr.
A5010-7 All Gold Plated Ring - for blue, Red & Amber dots - Outside dia. of bezel is 1 1/16", Hole size required is 15/16"Installation Instructions (In Stock) $5 pr.
A5010-8 All Glass Prism Blue Dot and Gold Plated Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1 1/16", Hole size required is 15/16"Installation Instructions (In Stock) $12 pr.
A5010-10 All Glass Prism Red Dot and Gold Plated Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1 1/16", Hole size required is 15/16"Installation Instructions (In Stock) $12 pr.
US Made Prism Glass Dots with Stainless Bezel
SSBD24 All Glass BLUE Prism Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16"Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 ea or $15 pr.
SSRD24 All Glass RED Prism Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16"Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 ea or $15 pr.
SSAD24 All Glass AMBER Prism Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16"Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 ea or $15 pr.
SSGD24 All Glass GREEN Prism Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16"Installation Instructions (Out of stock) $10 ea or $15 pr. Sold Out
SSYD24 All Glass YELLOW Prism Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16"Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 ea or $15 pr.
SSCD24 All Glass CLEAR Prism Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16"Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 ea or $15 pr.
SSCRD24 All Glass RAINBOW Prism Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16"Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 ea or $15 pr.
US Made Smooth Glass Dots with Stainless Bezel
Part # Year Description Picture Price
SSBD10 All Glass BLUE Smooth Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16", Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 ea or $15 pr.
SSLBD10 All Glass LIGHT BLUE Smooth Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16", Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 ea or $15 pr.
SSAD10 All Glass AMBER Smooth Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16", Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 ea or $15 pr.
SSRD10 All Glass RED Smooth Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16", Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 ea or $15 pr.
SSCD10 All Glass CLEAR Smooth Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16", Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 ea or $15 pr.
SSCRD10 All Glass RAINBOW Smooth Dot and Stainless Ring - NICE - Outside dia. of bezel is 1", Hole size required is 15/16", Installation Instructions (In Stock) $10 ea or $15 pr.
A5009 All Drill, Diamond, 15/16" for drilling in glass lens (In Stock)

Posted on: 2012/7/25 17:20
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

wombvette
See User information
Here you go.

For sale on this site.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.69 KB)
4208_509a741319424.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/11/7 9:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved