Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
35 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 32

r1lark, Mikieb, Rscott77x, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Starter Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
200-300 volts sounds way high compared to other generators of the 30's thru present day that i've dealt with. Usualy about 70-120 volts will max out several i've played with over the years but the engine has to turn at high RPM to get it.

I suppose u already know that usualy 3rd brush generators allow for the 3rd brush to be adjusted externaly to vary the output of the generator.

I don't know about optima but regular batteries 6v and 12v have a little round sticker on them with a month/year code of manufature. Sticker is usualy on the side of battery or that's the only place i've ever seen the stickers placed.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 19:54
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I will have to look for the sticker on the Optima and see if there is a decodable date code.

I won't argue the voltage the third brush generator will go up to 70 to 120 V could be the number.

I believe the generator fails due to heavy arcing at the commutator which gets hot enough to melt out the solder.

I know the Ford T service bulletins say short it out with a piece of wire on the generator side of the cutout (battery disconnected) and since having done that a few times since I rebuilt the generator in 1968 I have only had to replace batteries (and headlight bulbs). I have mine set at 12 Amps on the model T and I usually drive with the headlights on.

The Field is internally connected to the third brush and not reachable from the outside of the generator which is gear driven and not an easy thing to remove and then drive the car.

These Absorbed Glass Mat batteries are made with the electrolyte absorbed in a fiberglass mat material and then the plates and mat are all rolled together. As the mat dries up due to years of use and heat I believe there is arcing between the plates and eventually the battery destroys itself although nothing leaks out ever.

They have a mechanism whereby the Hydrogen and Oxygen gas is made to recombine so these batteries don't dissipate gas or normally go over pressure.

The 6 volt Optima is rated at almost 1000 cranking Amps. I do not believe a 6 volt battery made to the original size and fit and capacity the Packard had originally is still available.

I have a small ATV size 12 volt battery along side the Optima 6 Volt that runs the add-on A/C with a special hold down bracket. I'm thinking of working up an FM to AM radio converter that can power up from the 12 volt system so I can gain a little variety as AZ only has about one AM radio station I can stand to listen to. The 12 volt system is all bolt-on and no permanent modifications are made to the car. Damn good load on the single fan belt however.

The battery that came new with my Harley Davidson Motorcycle in 2008 was as quirky after the first year as the Optima became in the Packard. I even took it into a dealer on warranty and they wouldn't replace the battery. Finally I bought a new one and presto no more starting problems.

The point I want to make here is these AGM batteries can fail and leave the poor motorist thinking starter, generator and last the battery.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/8/1 13:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try placing a 1/8" or thicker rubber mat under the battery. Especialy on motysickle applications. The mat isolates the battery from vibration.

Best thing to do is avoid the latest and greatest trendy technology. LEt the rest of the world test it all out for 8 to 10 years before trying it.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 14:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved