Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Vin Tag Info
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Hello all. My 49 Deluxe vin tag is very faded. Other than patent numbers on the bottom, how does one determine what went in the Paint Scheme and Tim Code spots. My vin is 2362 14657. I believe the paint color is Arizona Beige. Thank you in advance to all that post replies.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 11:18
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Vin Tag Info
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are very lucky the build slip will still be taped to the top of glovebox or folded and stuck between the vent tube and fill tube somewhere along that space at the gas tank. It's a slip of teletype paper a couple of inches high with a line or two of numbers & codes for the car as equipped.

Feel gently on top of the glovebox and if it's there or at the tank use care in trying to remove because it will be quite delicate. If the slip is gone, you might still come across it somewhere but don't count on it. Some have found them just stuffed in odd places but if not found, I don't know of any other official way to know.

For paint, you might find a spot that has been sprayed and continuously covered to enable a match. Overspray under the door panels might be an example. The upholstery might have some of the original coloring and texture left under the seats but if it has been redone, possibly that would be gone.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 12:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I looked above the glove box a while ago. Forgot about the filler neck. Just looked and I see what looks like a piece of folded paper stuck in the undercoating. Going now to dig it out.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 13:21

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
What would be the approximate size of this paper unfolded? I know I don't have the whole thing. The piece that I have is about 4 inches long and no more than an inch wide with ratty edges which makes me think it's incomplete. I can see L46 the next number could be either a 2 or a 7. Looks more like a 2. I can't make out the next few digits. At the other side I can see a 69 and two dots after. Bit of a bust, but I'll try to preserve what I have. What would be an example of what would go in the paint and trim spots and what would the stand for? Would I be correct in assuming that paint code would be the letter for the paint color and the trim would be something to indicate what accessories are on the car?

Posted on: 2012/10/14 14:04

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information

Posted on: 2012/10/14 14:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I see how it's laid out. But what might go in the spots for paint and trim. I'm sure the color is Arizona Beige. So would the letter "W" go in the paint spot? As far as trim would it indicate that it has a radio, fog lights, and any other accessories? My car is listed in the registry. Go by body style 2362 and it's the last one. Is there anyway to determine what the code might be. Say, someone with the same trim level/ accessories with a good vin tag would know what would go there? Also, maybe nothing is there, because I can see the trim spot pretty clearly, and there is nothing stamped there. Which raises another question. Would it be stamped or printed/ inked like the rest of the tag?

Posted on: 2012/10/14 14:58

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you can find any more of yours here are a few of the typical abbreviations per the examples referenced. If you have one of those ultraviolet leak detector flashlights, if there is any ink left maybe that might bring something out and make it visible. It always seems to work on the cop shows.

In the first example shown the build slip decodes as:

2352 = model
X = paint code
2697 = sequence number
WSW = white sidewalls
AT = Ultramatic
HE = heater
RADVA = radio with vacuum antenna
501 - trim code

In the second example post 5, I'm not sure what the first 4 numbers designate. Maybe a factory order number?? The rest would be:

model#
B = paint code
sequence#
OD = overdrive
FSE = fenderskirts
WSW = white sidewalls
FAHD = fresh air heater/defroster
RR = not sure. It might be roof antenna. RR designated a rear seat speaker in later years but not sure if that was an option on pre 51s. The roof antenna was and it went away for the 24th series when the speaker was available so maybe they just switched the code.
76 = trim code

Others will have to say if info was stamped or printed but it may not have been there. There is an example in Robert Neal's book with the body number stamped and paint and trim empty.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 15:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Paint and trim codes were stamped in the blank spaces of the patent plate with a purple-ish ink which wasn't particularly archival.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

DeluxCanuck wrote:
At the other side I can see a 69 and two dots after. Bit of a bust, but I'll try to preserve what I have. What would be an example of what would go in the paint and trim spots and what would the stand for? Would I be correct in assuming that paint code would be the letter for the paint color and the trim would be something to indicate what accessories are on the car?

The number 69 followed by 2 dots is the Set number for the upholstery.

There is a listing of these numbers at the front of the 1948-54 parts book.
Page XIX shows tan striped broadcloth as the seat material for Set 69 which would be consistent with Arizona Beige paint.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 18:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Found it. Thanks for that. There is lots of good information on this site. Being new to this car it has been most helpful as have been the members when I start asking questions. Thank you to all of you.

Posted on: 2012/10/15 22:45

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved