Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 190

Don B, Joe, Orange-Lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

cleaning elec.stuff
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

BillW
See User information
I know the older guys will get laugh,but (for us new guys still learning the tricks) just found that Tarn-X work great for cleaning all the brass & copper elec.ends an connectors.They come out looking new!
Hope,this helps someone out.Bill WY

Posted on: 2012/11/8 11:22
 Top  Print   

Re: cleaning elec.stuff
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Be aware that many copper and brass cleaners leave a film of an anti-tarnish component to inhibit future tarnishing. This may or may not interfere with electrical conductivity so just to be sure I'd give contacts so cleaned an extra cleaning with some solvent designed for cleaning elecrical contacts.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 11:27
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

40clubcoupe
See User information
A standard of the electronics industry is a contact cleaner called DeoxIT, which dissolves connector contamination and leaves a light lubricant protection that does not inhibit conductivity. Deoxit is manufactured by CAIG Laboratories and is available through electronics and maintenance suppliers.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 12:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day 40clubcoupe,
First post, although a PackardInfo member for a fair while, so

And I invite you to include your '40 Club Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/11/8 14:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I use a product of CAIG labs for cleaning and lube of copper and brass - good stuff.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I use a polish called Met-All for brass and copper. I started using this to polish brass lamps and things on brass cars I use the aluminum version of Met-All and I don't believe it leaves a film. I buy this in one pound tins I get from aircraft supply places. I usually wash a small part off in hot water and dish soap after I polish it.

I use Meguiars #20 for all plastic material.

I do not use WD40 for a lubricant although it works nice to clean up a painted surface. I wipe down the black crackle finish on the motor of my Harley and it looks new until I get it muddy.

WD-40 cleans up all kinds of painted surfaces and it does leave a residue which hardens.

I play with things like antique radios, clocks, and other mechanical things and I use the above for most projects.

For clocks and similar, I only use appropriate lubricants with accepted practices.

I have used lubricants in a spray can for larger mechanical things.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/11/8 19:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jim, the first time I saw WD-40 being used to clean the body of a car was at an SCCA Grand Prix in Dallas, Texas many years ago. Tom Walkinshaw (sp.?) had two 5-cylinder turbo charged Audi Quattros in the race. They could go anywhere on the track at any time. They just out drove the competition, including the late Paul Newman, who was driving a Nissan V-8 powered Z-car. They won first and second places. After the race my brother and I went down to the paddock area and watched the pit crew clean up the cars using WD-40. I still use the stuff to clean painted surfaces in the engine compartment and chassis. I do not use WD-40 as a penetrating oil. Thanks for the memory.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/11/8 22:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The CAIG product is CAIlube M260cp. I use it on toy train armatures and they show marked improvement.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 1:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved