Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clipper Script
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
The embossed lettering on the 56 Packard and Clipper valve covers.... Does anyone know what the font is called.

ALK

Posted on: 2012/12/11 11:09
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: Clipper Script
Just popping in
Just popping in

Peppermintbutler
See User information
Don't Quote me on this, but i believe that such lettering would probably have been custom designed by Packard for only a few phrases.

I don't think there exists a complete font, however, a good artist or calligraphist would likley be able to replicate the lettering with any phrase you like. what do you plan to make if there is a font?

Posted on: 2012/12/13 11:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I likewise don't think it's a complete font. Far more likely is that it's just "artwork" and as such it was probably protected by a Packard design (DE prefix) patent or a trademark. I believe design patents (and perhaps trademarks) can be searched on the U.S. Patent Office database, why not have a go at it and let us know what you find?

Posted on: 2012/12/13 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Now for the second time on this &^&&(^%^%%$#$^&E^*&(^*)&^&%
miserable new computer. Last week when I was home I traced the word Packard on paper and took it to a sign graphics place here in Nashville. We found a font that is at least good enough for guvmint work. For between $40/$100 I can get these made in vinyl or PVC. Now I have to get the color. I have 2 quarts of the old Packard Green Pre 55. Can an automotive paint store add the necessary metallic to this.

ALK

Posted on: 2012/12/13 19:12
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I saw an original low mileage 56 clipper.My understanding is the engine color is a metalic green but the valve cover appears to be gray/silver with the Clipper script in red.

Posted on: 2012/12/14 7:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
GTO

Yes what you say is true. However if you take a look at my project blog for the 56 Clipper hot rod, you will see that I am doing things a bit different than stock, due to the nature of what was done before me.

Al

Posted on: 2012/12/14 10:08
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved