Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 195

Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1938 packard 8 coil
Just popping in
Just popping in

Touringman
See User information
Hello: I have a 1938 packard 8. I recently tested the coil and the spark was quite yellow and very week. This has led me to believe that my coil has gone bad. A company called speedway has a 6 volt coil made by pertronics. speedway states that the coil can be used on a 6 volt points system, However pertronics says no. Does any one know for sure? the 6 volt coil is a 0.6 ohm resistance producing 45000 volts. Will this work in my 38 with out further modifications? thank to all responders. mitch

Posted on: 2012/12/13 12:30
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 packard 8 coil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you're in doubt about your coil, why not just buy a universal 6-volt coil from NAPA or any other auto parts store? Hook it up temporarily with a jumper to power and see if there is a difference. If you chose to install it permanently, you'll have to work your way around the armoured cable though there are folks out there who can rewind a coil and repair/restore the original coil to ignition switch configuration.

Last time I priced a NAPA universal 6-volt coil it was about $16, probably more by now. And if you don't need it now, it should be part of your spares kit if you tour with the car.

The usual symptoms of pending coil failure are that the car starts and runs find when cold, ignition begins to break up as the coil warms up, and this gets progressively worse. Symptom is often mistaken for a failing distributor condensor. Another possibility in your case if you still have the coil feed wire within the armoured steel sheath is that the insulation on that wire is crumbling, though that more often manifests itself as intermittent ignition failure.

Posted on: 2012/12/13 12:44
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 packard 8 coil
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Old time auto parts web site has the 6v coils also

Posted on: 2012/12/13 14:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved