Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 28 »

Re: Howard's 47 Custom project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Howard,

If you don't have overdrive on your 47, would you consider selling that dashpot throttle guard and bracket for it (if you have one) to me?

If you do have overdrive, here's how it goes on the carburetor. This is a Stromberg AAV-26. You probably have a Carter.

EDIT Just checking and saw that Flackmaster was looking for one. Need to read more.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.37 KB)
1067_5175d23edf589.jpg 500X389 px

Posted on: 2013/4/22 19:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, I will take a look and take a photo, but I believe it is relatively open.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/22 20:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Finished the worst of the underbody & frame cleaning & derusting. Without taking the body off I'm afraid it will be a 10 footer in a couple of places that are just not accessible -- or at least not unless it's done by someone who bends better and in more places than I do while they are laying under a car. Decided to use ordinary rattle can Rustoleum on this section because surface rust was minimal & it could be more easily sprayed.

The rear third is a little more challenging but it will wait till the axle and springs come off. That will be after the engine/trans and some front stuff is back in the chassis. Front third is totally open and clean. Just needs a touch up on a couple of areas before the engine goes in.

Have ordered some stuff but in the meantime until it arrives, will drag the rebuilt engine out of storage and see if it still turns over. Probably should have done that before ordering anything. If it does still turn, great and will continue cleaning and painting it and the bolt on stuff. If not, well the project might have hit a bump.

As mentioned, ordered the deluxe brake kit and tubing kit from Kanter but still waiting for that to show up. Getting the brake tubing on the frame will be much easier without anything in the way. Need a new gas line as well but that is on the outside and nothing appears to interfere. Next expensive item is some rubber. A couple of pieces are needed now but most of what I don't already have can be done with the engine in.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 14:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Howard, How I admire your tenacity and dedication to say nothing of your energy to tackle such a daunting project. I hope that you do persevere and bring another great old Packard back to to it's former glory.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Don't feel apologetic for using spray cans of Rustoleum. It is one of the few products that has actually improved in quality over the years and I use it all the time with good results and tremendous cost savings over firing up the spray gun for modest sized parts.

On nice clean metal I use their self etching primer; rusty metal primer for all the rest. Let the primer dry a loooooong time. Even days. The industrial cans of black, (larger) available at Home Depot etc will flow out over the dry primer beautifully and dry to something just a bit off gloss that looks very suitable. Over time it will dry quite hard and stick well.

Urethane it ain't, but it is still miles ahead of the micro-thin layer of cheap black enamel manufacturers used in the day and will still look good on undercar components long after we are dead.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 20:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
x2 on the Rustoleum. Holding up well on the places I have used it on my car and mine is parked outside in the elements. I have been reading great things about POR-15, especially for areas with light surface rust you can't get to. Supposed to brush on and flow out like it was sprayed. Hard as a rock too.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 21:04
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the good word on Rustoleum. I debated the Por 15 or actually, what I have is Hirsch's Miracle Paint which is supposed to be almost the same stuff. Today spraying was easier than brushing. I also didn't have the right thinner for the stuff so didn't want to open the can. Think I will save the good stuff for some of the other pieces that I can do standing up.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 21:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, lots of room in the area under the fender and in back of the wheel, in spite of the electric radio antenna and hand brake linkage. Looks like a good area in which to mount the brake booster unit, and it requires no service so even better. Probably easier to get to this area from underneath. I would guess your Caribbean would be the same.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/25 11:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's good news. Wasn't sure looking at my car because there were several thru holes in the frame that looked like something would be mounted in the area.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do. Several of the Tbird places sell a hose and tube kit to go along with the booster. Don't know if there is anything in the kits that would work on a Packard but maybe a starting point.

If you could get get some instructions or details on the unit beforehand that would be even a bigger help. Isn't there one of our regular posters who works in or has a Ford or Tbird store?

Posted on: 2013/4/25 11:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Took the engine out of the shed today. Darn thing must have put on weight because it's a lot heavier than I remembered it being when I put it in there. Moving it was too much like work for an old fart.

The engine has accumulated an outside patina from it's long slumber. Assuming it turns over another project to take care of.

Next thing is to see if it still turns or has rusted solid inside along with the outside patina. I remember the shop saying they had run it before getting it ready to ship back and it does have oil in the pan so here's halfway hoping. Will have to buy another socket before doing that. My large socket that fit the crank bolt seems to have been donated to the Packard gods --- or more likely I placed it somewhere so I wouldn't lose it only for it to never be seen again until I buy another.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.28 KB)
209_51796325050b0.jpg 640X496 px

jpg  (35.71 KB)
209_5179632e7d815.jpg 640X497 px

Posted on: 2013/4/25 12:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 28 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved