Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 190

olduker, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

garage equipment and layout
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Who's using geared head engine stands?????
What kind of engine stand does anyone use or that wants to discuss engine stands or modifying stands.

Posted on: 2008/9/24 20:30
 Top  Print   

Re: garage equipment and layout
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Perhaps a new forum idea: Garage stuff?

As for engine stands, currently I am using my garage floor. Or, I did when I had an engine not in the car.

I have no clue what I will do when blocks and so forth come back. Thanks for the good, and timely, topic :) .

Tom

Posted on: 2008/9/25 0:24
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I just have the old type with the manual rotation, a bolt holds the tube that the engine mounting plate/arms rotates on in place. When I worked in the shop we had custom made stands for long/heavy engines, they looked like two traditional auto parts store V-8 stands facing each other, the bottom legs were joined and there were arms that ran from one rotating plate on one end to the other. This eliminated the bending that happens when someone tries to put a straight 8 engine on a stand designed for V-8s.

Posted on: 2008/9/25 6:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I have one of the specialty stands for the long 8s. It has a 288 bolted to it at present. It works fine. You know there is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix. So, I'm using a set of homemade saw horses as an engine stand. I think I have built 6 or 8 engines on them. I also keep a cherry picker attached as a safety measure and to aid in turning the block/engine.

Posted on: 2008/9/25 11:11
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have two of the el-cheapo type like available at the discount stores. One is a 1000# and the other a 750 # stand. They're ok for sporatic use. I finds them difficult to turn the engine on tho. Even a 4 cyl is not ez to turn. The V12 jag and PAK V8's are nearly impossible without help.

I'm thinking about adapting a flex plate and starter motor to the neck of the stand. The starter motor will just crank by HAND NOT electricity. Kind of a billy-bob and cooter set up but hopefuly will beat laying out $300+ for a geared head stand.

The only problem is getting some kind of bearing or nylon bushing for the currently existing pivot of the mounting head for the stand. Just too sloppy a fit and too much friction.

ANy thots or ideas???

Posted on: 2008/9/25 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Are you putting the Jag V12 in one of your Packards to make a '56 V12 model?

Posted on: 2008/9/25 22:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I was thinking about a Jag V12 in a Packard. But quite frankly the Jag V12 is such a piece of shit engine that i forgot about it and had to literaly GIVE the Jag V12 away recently. They are nothing but a boat anchor.

They have a good strong crank,rods and pistons, VERY STRONG but use an open water jacket at the top of the block, Sohc NOT Dohc, VERY heavy engine despite an all Al. block. Some very nice things about the Jag V12 but a few typical british engineering short cuts used that ruined it. I still have the crank and but a very few other parts i'm keeping just in case.

Too bad too. The XJS and Xke's are beautiful cars and i like them.

Posted on: 2008/9/25 23:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If you ever find a set of carbs off of one let me know, I'd buy them from you.

Posted on: 2008/9/25 23:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved