Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 125

2T300RE, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: Cool Xmas for BigKev ?? READ THIS NOW PLEASE
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2013/12/3 17:04

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
So hose connectivity, wiring, control, and mounting are the items that need to be researched.

Here is what the basic Novi switch assy looked like. Schematics for it are in the stude info. Individual blower control only and no compressor clutch.

With a Sanden compressor, you will have to get creative. You can duplicate the blower switch functions with modern. The need is to add a thermostat to control the clutch. Downside is the modern thermostats available only have about a max 6' capillary tube. Not quite enough to reach the dash so it will either have to be a set temp, an adj thermostat with control in the rear, or else get inventive again and use a cable control thermostat at the rear with a long bowden cable for control. I've researched all for my little projects. If you don't have the switches and wanted to keep the original look, something like that little panel could be easily made.

On the 56 when adding the Sanden, I had the same issue. Decided to utilize the cable control thermostat with bowden cable and the existing heater temp control lever. You have the same setup in the 54. The control works both heater and AC thermostats since the functions are opposite -- when you need heat the AC thermostat is off and when you need cool, the heat is off. In mid range, both are active but since there are other controls involved to decide whether heat or AC is in actual use, not an issue. Lots of options to explore so you should have several choices.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.71 KB)
209_529e56b13c6b6.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/12/3 17:09
Howard

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Interesting the pdfs have nothing on the acutual hose hookups on the unit. I wonder if the two extra hose outlets are for drains. Also nothing on the mounting bracketry. Pics from one mounted in a car would be helpful if anyone knows anybody with a mounted Novi system.

I can fabricate the dash panel. I wonder if a rotory knob in the middle instead of a pull knob would be easier for thermostat control.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 20:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can fabricate the dash panel. I wonder if a rotory knob in the middle instead of a pull knob would be easier for thermostat control.

Maybe when you get a chance, some detailed photos could be posted and we could figure out what the connections are. If they are on the bottom or low on side it could be drains.

As to the thermostat, a rotary would work nicely if you can find the thermostat. The sensing bulb has to insert in the evaporator & the longest capillary tube for a typical aftermarket stat I could find is 72". In order to safely route the tube from the trunk unit to the dash where the thermostat body will mount, I expect 12' will be about the minimum -- and that might be cutting it close.

It would be nice if it could be done with wire but I haven't seen any electronic controls with thermostats for that application that are not part of a complete control unit. Doesn't mean just a thermostat is not out there. Maybe Vintage or Classic would sell something stand alone.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 21:05
Howard

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There must be a thermostat with an electronic control knob thay can be mouted remotely. Time to hit the interwebs!

Posted on: 2013/12/3 21:19
-BigKev

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Let us know if you find something. Specs for auto use usually have the active range of around 30-70 degrees. Minimum fail safe temp where contacts are for sure open is around 30 degrees. Anything less and evap would start to freeze. Typically they have a dead band range of around 5-10 degrees before contacts close again. That gives the evaporator a chance to warm and any condensed moisture to fall or be blown off. High end is usually around 65-70 degrees. Anything warmer and you might as well turn it off.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 21:46
Howard

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Looks like there are 3 drains in the pan. The manual looks like there should be straps attaching it to the trunk.

I wonder if there is a Studebaker manual on how to install factory A/C?

Posted on: 2013/12/3 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
The A/C appears to grow into a group project.
Involving lots of Christmas elves.

It is snowing here in South Dakota.
May look like the North Pole by Morning.
Merry Christmas -- early!

Posted on: 2013/12/3 23:24
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Thank Y'all for your support thus far - it seems easiest to simply use the "donate" button on the homepage to zap a few bucks using paypal. Any support is welcome, I want to be clear that there is NO MINIMUM - this is simply a means to communicate how much we have to be thankful for with Packardinfo.com.
Please be sure to include a note to the effect of "Operation Holiday A/C for Bigkev". Should you not like paypay, I will be happy to provide a mailing address for BigKev, but would rather not post publicly, so just pop me a PM.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/12/5 10:08

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thank you everyone that has helped with this....I really appreciate it! :)

Posted on: 2013/12/5 11:25
-BigKev

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved