Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 130

BigKev, Tobs, RKS, todd landis, Slatewood, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: New to this site
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
We're practically neighbors and could easily see each other (and our Hudson and Packards) at the monthly Tucker Car Show on Main Street during the summer seasons. I'll bring my 1956 if you bring one of your Hudsons. A fine fellow in our Packard Club has recently sold his 1947 Hudson and come on over to a beautiful 1941 Packard, while remaining active in the regional Hudson club. The respect for each brand seems mutual and we'd be happy to let you Ask the man who owns one. After all, both brands were Detroit-bred and reflected some of the finest American engineering for many years. People around the world recognized them both as some of the finest anywhere.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 18:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Hi Craig, MrBumble, the more I inquire about Packards the more I like what I hear. I have never driven one nor ridden in one. I know they are well built from what people say and what I have read. I plan on getting my feet wet in the near future. Craig, I have two Hornets, a Pacemaker, a 55 Ford Victoria and a daily driver 50 Plymouth. I can drive either of My Hudson that have overdrive all day at 70 mph, but will have to work on the 50 mpg. I thank you for the nice reception. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 20:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Hi DaveB, yes we are neighbors. I have only missed a couple of the Tucker Car Shows in years, I don't always take a Hudson there, but many times I do. I will plan on bringing my 51 Hornet on 4-12. I know the fine fellow you are talking about very well, Richard brought his new acquisition to the Hudson / Packard joint meet last fall. His car is beautiful. I am looking for something not quite that nice, just a dependable daily driver. I have been in contact with Jim Gray from the local Packard Club since that meet. Jim is a nice guy, and is keeping an eye out for any Packards for sale for me. It won't be hard to find each other on the 12th as there will probably be only one Packard and one Hudson there. Talk to you later, Richie.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 20:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Glad to have you with us!

As the happy owner of a torsion bar car I hope you will make an effort to ride in one.

The ride is amazing! Particularly if the car has radial tires....

Happy testing!

Posted on: 2014/3/11 22:10
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Thanks Pat, I'll do my best. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 22:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Richie:

The only place I get 50 miles to the gallon is in my dreams!

Posted on: 2014/3/12 7:45
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Welcome Richie!

You've joined the most knowledgeable, enthusiastic, welcoming and, most important, civil old car website on-line! The quality of the participants here reflects the quality of Packards.

The 1948-50 model years have been gaining in appreciation now. At one time, the styling was denegrated as portly and unappealing but now we've come to recognize it was simply period consistent, fully in step with it's time. Seeing a car's styling in the context of its time is the only realistic way to understand and appreciate it.

The other fine qualities the 22nd & 23rd Series models embody are matchless engineering and build craftsmanship. As mentioned, the interiors were particularly sumptuous in the Super and Custom Eights. Further, the 288 & 327 straight eights will deliver the torque and smoothness you've come to appreciate in Hudsons. If you should be fortunate enough to acquire a Custom Eight, you'll experience the absolute finest in postwar motoring.

Enough promotion from me, check out the Various CL Pickings thread ongoing here. We like to bring worthwhile Packards posted on Craigslist to the attention of others, hopefully to find those cars good owners. Whatever you do, find yourself the best car you can for the price, buy it, maintain and enjoy it.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/3/12 7:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Steve, that's a lot of great information, I'll store it in my little brain. I appreciate all the welcoming and friendly comments. This does seem to be a wonderful site packed with lots of knowledge.
I have a lot to learn about the Packard line, with all the series / models etc. I do check the CL on a daily basis, state by state and city by city. I'm a patient old man, so we'll see what happens. Thanks Steve. Richie

Posted on: 2014/3/12 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
quick model primer for you:

The 22nd series came out in late 1947 and ran through May 1949. The 23rd series "Golden Anniversary" models ran from May 49 -1950. So a 1949 Packard can be either. There are several ways to tell them apart although they are very similar. The 22nd series cars use a stainless strip (2 for Custom Eights)low on the side, and rectangular flush tail lights. The 23rd series cars have the stainless halfway up the side and large oval tail lights.

The Ultramatic transmission was introduced with the 23rd series. The Eight and Eight Deluxe used a 288 in3 straight 8. The Super 8 used a stroked version at 327 in3. The Custom Eights used the 356 in3 engine introduced in 1940.

A Super Deluxe was introduced in the 23rd series, having trim like a Custom but the chassis of a Super 8.

Body styles were Touring sedan, "club Sedan" for 2 door fastback, "station sedan" for a woody wagon, convertible coupe, and long wheelbase 7 passenger sedan and limousine.

Not all body styles were available in all trim levels.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 13:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
WOW, bkazmer, That's a lot of info, I'll have to print that out, no chance of remembering all that. Thank you. Richie

Posted on: 2014/3/12 14:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved