Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Why Do We Show Our Cars?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Signed up to present mine at a local men's club where I get three minutes to tell about it.

Trying to wrap my head around minimal words and good priorities....

Air bag suspension was the intended reference.

Leaning towards starting with the suspension; also like the cloth interior that isn't charcoal, pewter or tan....

Posted on: 2014/5/14 22:46
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
On Saturday I went to a local town sponsored car show, in Cary, NC. Nice turn out of about 180 cars of all makes, and vintages. The best part for me was that I met a gentlemen who also owns a 41 and lives near me; his is a 110 Convertible. We were both surprised and delighted to find another '41 owner so close by.

On Sunday I went to a small show at one of the local American Legion posts, the entry fee is for a good cause, and we got to hang out with a few friends, and check out some other cars. I was completely surprised to come away with a 3rd place.

Besides getting to talk with other car folks, occasionally you get to see a wonderful vehicle such as a this 1928 or 29 Graham (and most non-car folks consider Packards to be somewhat rare). The Graham took 1st place; it was by far the nicest car there.

Chad

Attach file:

jpg  (145.98 KB)
36035_537b683f84d0d.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2014/5/20 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
I took the 56 Esquire to the Tucker (GA) Main Street Cruise In for its first time and came away with an oversized trophy. Not at all bad for a five buck entry fee. Better yet, I had a chance to meet up with Rick and his very nice 47 Clipper and had a chance to sit inside to soak up the considerable era ambience. Nice guy and a great start for him in the Packard side of his hobby.

I also had a chance to refute the AirBag and Who Made Packard? theories. I did not mention Hewlett once. There were several beautiful fifties Cadillacs that I think showed better than mine, but mine was the unusual brand of that era. Rick's may have been the same for the Forties class. He has shown his four Hudsons with similar approvals (Yeah for the Conner Avenue teams!), but a Packard really brings out the comments of the crowds. A work friend with a beautiful 58 Plymouth Fury also got special ("I remember when I....") comments, and that's why car shows can be so much fun.

The awards were still being handed out when the rain drops appeared. Many of us beat a quick retreat for a dry garage at home, leaving some of us to wonder who else got a trophy. My seven mile trip home was on dry roads but with drops on the windshield. After 15 years of no use, the vacuum wipers worked well-enough. My modern car wipers work bigger and better, but after 58 years, I won't complain. She was in the garage with less than a minute to spare when the heavens opened. That's real car show excitement!

Posted on: 2014/5/20 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Thank you for sharing these stories (as well as that pic of that awesome Graham). I had a good time at the Fairfax show on Saturday. It is not a big show, maybe 100 cars or so. I had fun talking with people about the car and particularly enjoyed sitting on the rear bumper with small children to demonstrate the self leveling. They were wowed by it, having never seen anything like it before.

One odd thing did happen there. This older man came up to me a couple of times during the show asking me questions about the car, including what its estimated value might be. I was a bit vague about that last point, but since people sometimes ask strange questions, I let it slide. Then, near the end of the show, he returned again and told me he wanted to buy the Clipper, right there and right then. I was floored! He said, "I see something I want and I buy it." (wish I could do that ...) I told him that I appreciated his interest and recommended that he check on Hemmings and eBay, but I was not selling the Bumblebee any time soon.

Has that ever happened to any of you and what did you say?

Posted on: 2014/5/20 15:47
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Randy and I discussed this decided we go to see old friends old cars and food .
The old guys get together talk over old cars tell old stories over again and remember people we know and have known over the years. Some of the guys we have known since we were kids and still see and remember many of the same things. There are always the regulars but some times rare cars will show up
A lot of the events we go to are local and most have food which is another good reason to attend places with good food are always on top of list fire companies here and churches tend to have the best cooking
You never know who or what kind of unusual car you will be present.

Posted on: 2014/5/20 17:04
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Al stated the case very well. Additionally I have gone on Packard tours to renew friendships (Dave Czirr) and make new ones (Chuck Flinchbaugh). I also got to meet the son of Grif Teller, the celebrated artist who painted all the wonderful New York Central calendar pictures. Being a train nut as well as a Packard nut has provided me with many enjoyable days and new friendships.

Posted on: 2014/5/20 18:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved