Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 145

acolds, Packard Newbie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heat riser repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I know the heat riser is not really needed where I live. But, I plan to enter my 1947 Clipper in judging in the future and was wondering if anyone had a source for a rebuild kit to get it working. It is currently wired open and the engine performs beautifully (recently took a one day 220 mile trip!) but thought I should pursue getting it back to as close to original as possible.
I am changing the exhaust manifold gasket soon and thought I should look into this while the manifold was off the car.

Any comments or suggestions??

Posted on: 2015/10/30 13:58
 Top  Print 

Re: Heat riser repair
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what you have in place or missing but here is a parts illustration showing the major pieces. You might check with Kanter or Max to see if either has a complete rebuild kit. If not, Max lists the bimetal spring and the outer cover on his website. Those are visible parts and maybe he has some other pieces. I didn't check all of them to see what he has. Kanter probably has some too. If the valve shaft is not seized in the bushings and is free to move that is half the battle.

If free to move, the weight and gravity should open and keep the valve open if no bimetal spring is there to close it. If the spring is present, needing to wire it open sounds like the spring is maybe misadjusted, installed incorrectly or defective.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.13 KB)
209_5633c6bb9b4f3.jpg 627X437 px

Posted on: 2015/10/30 14:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
It's there for a reason, and helps in any climate, tho' obviously more important in Duluth. First, make sure your thermostatic spring is still intact. I was lucky enough to get Max Merritt's last new one in the early '90s, but perhaps he or another Packard vendor has some NOS by now. Barring that, you might match yours with a carburetor choke spring at any long-established, serious auto supply house.
I inveigled John Kepich to produce the bimetallic manifold heat valve thermostatic spring's cover in stainless steel, since the factory's mild steel cover is often rusted away.
Kepich Exhaust, Mocksville, NC: (336) 492-5629 oldcarexhaust@gmail.com

Grease the damper valve both ends with graphite powder which you can work in with kerosene, etc. Adjust it according to the Packard Shop Manual and you'll be good "for the duration."

Posted on: 2015/10/30 14:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Thanks! Great response..

Posted on: 2015/10/31 13:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
The illustration is a treasure. Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/10/31 13:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
The illustration is a treasure. Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/10/31 13:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Sent you a PM.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/11/1 11:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved