Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Texas man finds the very same 1940 Packard from his childhood and restores it.
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Anybody know if Nelson Bates of Longview, TX is on this forum? There is a very nice article in the Wall Street Journal about his 1940 Packard along with 14 photos.
http://www.wsj.com/article_email/packard-a-ride-back-in-time-in-a-car-ahead-of-its-time-1456847594-lMyQjAxMTA2ODA4MjEwMDI4Wj

"One of my earliest memories is the time I was sitting in my uncle's Packard 110 at a family picnic where I grew up in West Virginia. I was 7 years old, and my uncle let me play in the car, pretending I was driving it. I could hear a newscast from a portable radio that was sitting on a picnic table. It was Aug. 6, 1945, and the newscast was talking about the atomic bomb that had just been dropped on Hiroshima. I still have that radio--an old Zenith.

Decades later, in 1997, I was in a hotel room when I saw an ad in a car magazine for a Packard for sale in Texas, where I have lived for many years. I went and saw the car three times before buying it, for $6,000. My brother and I began a restoration; we took the car apart, and my initial intuition was correct. This was the exact car my uncle owned, that I played in as a child."

Story gets better from there.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 11:15
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Texas man finds the very same 1940 Packard from his childhood and restores it.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I don't know if Nelson is on this site or not. Hopefully I will see him at the Texas Packard Meet.

He can be found on this site.
http://www.arklatexpackards.com/contact_us.html

Posted on: 2016/3/2 12:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Texas man finds the very same 1940 Packard from his childhood and restores it.
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Neat story. I had no idea about the background of his 40 Packard. He was most fortunate to have the rare chance to find a former family car. Nelson is a regular at the Texas Packard Meet and favors us by bringing the Packard. It is always a favorite with participants and the public.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/3/2 12:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Nelson is not on PackardInfo but I met him, and his son Todd, when they attended our Aussie Packard National Rally in 2009, nice guy. Again at Hershey in 2012 where I also met his brother Warren and for whom we can cross reference the Packard in this post.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 16:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved