Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

Re: Jim's Packard powered "Indy" car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

No, here's a pic Jim sent of the chassis waiting for the body to be done.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.09 KB)
226_577869057e070.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/7/2 20:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
In response to my observation and question Jim advised:

"About the rare intakes and carburetors that were in the background of some pictures, I was approached by a gentleman(not sure if I should give his name and business) but he has a huge local shop and does a big internet business throughout the world pertaining to Mopar parts and the like. We agreed on a price on all of the rare intakes and carbs and all my early Hemi engines and parts that I accumulated over 20 years are now in his possession. He used to drag race the 426 Hemis in the 70's and continued keep the Mopar drive alive all these years. Around here there were at least 4 Mopar builders that hit the big times by racing throughout the USA and did quite well, but them days are now gone, most have passed on that made big splashes in the Hemi - Mopar world. I wasn't one of them, but I admired their knowledge and ambition. I could only afford to build the Mopar big blocks and 727's which I ran for years, but wasn't even close to their caliber.

I was surprised to hear that you don't have car toters over there ? They're not legal ? They are quite cheap over here, mine was only a few years old and it even came with wheel straps. You can buy new for around a $1000 to $1500 dollars. The Toters are easy to tow and use, you can't even feel them being pulled. A lot of people make their own, I bet there are (you-tube) videos on how to make one. A good friend of mine(now passed), made his own using a rear straight axle from a front wheel drive minivan. It worked slick. They also sell on Ebay and we have Rental Shops here that also rent them out
."

"I sold the home made one I had but kept the one I picked up. I also(somehow)acquired 2 car trailers over the years, one is factory made and one that was home built made from mobile home trailer axles, in fact the homemade one is in some of the pictures hauling the 1952 chassis"

Jim also sent me a few links to eBay listings of Toters. Jim. I like 'em!

And, although most of the photos Jim has sent me ended up here in the Blog, most of the recent photos of his other cars and rods didn't. But they're in this Picasa Album. if anyone's interested.

Posted on: 2016/7/3 0:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jimjr51
See User information
Hi John:
No I'm sorry, the original drive train was removed when I got the car, (it was a field find) and that someone put in a Datsun 240Z engine and tranny. I sold that Datsun drive train years ago,
Thanks,

Jim

Posted on: 2016/7/3 5:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"someone put in a Datsun 240Z engine and tranny"

A very unusual engine and trans swap into a '46 Dodge, probably the only combination ever like it in the world! After saying that, I'm getting ready to duck as more examples get thrown at me!

Posted on: 2016/7/3 5:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jimjr51
See User information
It was a new one on me too....LOL. The 240 Z Datsuns were known for frame rust and around here the rust is a continuous battle. They use a salt and sand method on our roads and highways during the Winter months.
Have a great day,
Jim

Posted on: 2016/7/3 5:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I seen a Studebaker Gran Turismo in one of those pictures too...
John

Posted on: 2016/7/3 9:27
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jimjr51
See User information
Hi John:
Yes, it is a picture of my original high school car I had back in 1970. Today, I still own it but the drive train and interior has been updated since it was purchased back then. There are more pictures of it in the other post that Mal put up for me on page 6. My computer won't upload or down load pictures to the Packard Website for some reason, that's why Mal has to put them up for me.
Thanks,
Jim

Posted on: 2016/7/3 9:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
More from Jim.

"I had a chance to work on the Packard block today, and paint the head, motor mount brackets, the new water pump and the pulley. Plus removed, inspected and repainted the oil pump. A buddy of mine came over and we made block rests out of 6X6 pieces of wood to protect the head bolts when we flipped the block onto its top. Friday I was able to remove the old frost plugs and the water pump and water transfer tube so I could flush out the block. The garden hose took a lot of the 62 year old sledge out, but the pressure washer finished up the rest of the block sludge(The driveway and gutters are all rust colored now). I'm praying for rain... a lot of rain...LOL. After the block was cleaned and dried, I painted the block an engine hi-temp grey, then tackled the head"

Attach file:

jpg  (50.84 KB)
226_57798f5b061e9.jpg 800X450 px

jpg  (52.31 KB)
226_57798f68e1638.jpg 800X450 px

jpg  (47.58 KB)
226_57798f8adbd20.jpg 800X450 px

Posted on: 2016/7/3 17:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Still more from Jim.

"Here are the most recent pictures of the painted engine block. With the oil pan off, I was able to remove one rod cap and one main cap to see the wear pattern if any. All looked good, the pan will be cleaned up and repainted and will install tomorrow, then upright the motor to put it back together. Then I'll paint and detail the bell housing and tranny"

"My computer won't upload or down load pictures to the Packard Website for some reason"

Jim,

Have you had a look at this FAQ - WEBSITE: Photo Posting Guide Lines? Might help so you can post photos.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.70 KB)
226_5779904ac6be8.jpg 800X450 px

jpg  (48.58 KB)
226_5779905be62d3.jpg 800X450 px

jpg  (52.28 KB)
226_577990905b40e.jpg 800X450 px

jpg  (48.34 KB)
226_5779909f7045b.jpg 800X450 px

Posted on: 2016/7/3 17:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Couple of updates from Jim:

"Yesterday as a country, we celebrated our Independence Day ( July 4th ) by staying home and grilling out. I did get into the garage and painted a few more brackets and parts. There was a lot of play in the timing chain, I found one on Ebay and is supposed to be here by the weeks end. Next weekend is Iola, it's a huge car show and swap meet in Wisconsin that is held once a year. There is usually 4 others that rides with, so this coming Saturday I won't be able to get in the garage, maybe Sunday I can finish the front of the motor, then paint the bell housing and tranny before assembly"

"The Packard Straight 8 engine build is on standby until the new timing chain comes(by weeks end) then I can also install the rebuilt water pump and painted timing chain cover. Here are a few of the latest pictures. I had several dents in the oil pan, but did manage to get some of the dents out"

Attach file:

jpg  (53.75 KB)
226_577ddd2671397.jpg 800X450 px

jpg  (45.92 KB)
226_577ddd331cf2e.jpg 800X450 px

jpg  (47.83 KB)
226_577ddd53cc129.jpg 800X450 px

Posted on: 2016/7/6 23:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved