Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 100

pmhowe, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fan Belt Replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Looking to replace my belt on my 1947 Custom Super Eight (356 CU inch engine)

Does anyone have a part number and a source? One vendor has them for $75. Hoping to do better than that.
Thanks

Posted on: 2016/9/7 12:20
 Top  Print 

Re: Fan Belt Replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
John Ulrich repro'd the original and has them for $50.http://julrichpackard.com/water_related_parts_belts.htm

There is a 22A1365 or TR 30537 belt in the xref Napa belt which crosses over to a new NAPA number. You might compare it with your original. I have not seen one to know how much off it is from the old but from notes in the xref it is slightly narrower. Many modern belts are just enough narrower than the old styles -- and the extra wide width of the 356 belt doesn't help -- that they do not quite fit the pulley sheaves properly so tend to ride lower in the grooves and bottom out.

Posted on: 2016/9/7 14:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
John's belt is the proper belt for the car-I was not able to install it and had to resort to a NAPA belt which has worked well. Good luck it is a tough fit!

Posted on: 2016/9/7 18:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard1949 brings up a good point. I have John's belt and it was a tight fit.

If you go with his belt and the front motor mounts have sagged, there may be difficulty in getting the belt under the vibration damper. You may have to place a jack under the oil pan and raise the front up slightly to get a bit of clearance to slide the belt between the crossmember and damper. Be careful of the side stabilizer mounts if you do that. The engine will not raise much with them attached to the crossmember so they may need to unbolt before raising.

You will probably need to remove the bolt between the generator and adjust strap so the generator can pivot all the way to the block. Even doing that it takes an effort to get the belt over the pulley but once it slips over there is just enough slack to bring the generator back to the proper position and reattach the adjust strap.

Posted on: 2016/9/7 19:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

The technique to install said belt I used on the 41 Super Eight I once owned...

Lube one part of the belt and the part of the frame that is in the way with silicone lube . Get a long stick and push the belt past the obstruction . I used one of Owen Dyneto's tomato stakes as I was working on the car in front of his house

Best

John Harley

Posted on: 2016/9/7 21:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
As Howard has mentioned,
I had the same issue while replacing a fan belt on a 1939 120.
I had to unbolt the front motor mount and lift motor a little to gain clearance
To work new belt on.

Posted on: 2016/9/7 22:17
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved